Well poop. That wasn't hardly any fun at all!

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Well poop. That wasn't hardly any fun at all!

Post by PHPaul » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:00 am

Cut down three poplars - two dead, one dying - behind the barn. All three went where I pointed them, didn't get the saw stuck, didn't make sparks come off the chain and got all three dropped and cut up on less than one tank of gas.

The ol' Stihl still gets 'er done.

Now as soon as the Cabota gets out of the shop, I'll lug 'em down and drop 'em in the beaver swamp.

Bkeepr

Re: Well poop. That wasn't hardly any fun at all!

Post by Bkeepr » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:04 pm

Well, that is a problem, and I've got a solution to help you: I've got two really challenging big pines here to drop, if you really want to have some fun! Both grew in compound curves, leaning, and near and in between a triangle formed by the house, a fence, and some live power lines.

I've been studying this problem for a couple of years now, gonna have to either do something myself before too long, or hire professionals...or just wait til Mother Nature takes 'em down for me.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Well poop. That wasn't hardly any fun at all!

Post by PHPaul » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 pm

I feel ya. I have a BIG double-trunked poplar by the house that needs to come down. One trunk leans toward a mostly open area, partly on me and partly on the neighbor. As long as I clean up the mess, he's okay with me dropping it in his yard.

It's the other trunk that has me stymied. It's going to be a cast-iron bitch to drop without tearing something up. There's about a 60° arc it's possible to drop it in because of the way it's leaning and how the branches weight it. Of that 90° about 5° is relatively open. The rest is house, BIG 3 phase power lines, a big Maple and some landscaping I'd just as soon not tear up. Oh, and a state road...

I'm not enough of a sawyer that I'm confident I could drop it in the target zone. Waiting on a pro to show up.