New US Bases in Phillipines

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: New US Bases in Phillipines

Post by PHPaul »

Cool!

I found a video tour of Clark taken in 1991 as they were cleaning up after the eruption.

Didn't recognize a thing from when I was stationed there in '70/'71.

Many fond memories tho.
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

I was at Clark in January 1967 there only for 4 hour. All I saw was the runway with a bunch of jets flying in and out. They were flying out loaded and coming back empty, for that entire four hours, one after the other. :o
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

My guess is that we built them all in the first place, then got ran off. Now we come crawling back after bribing a few hundred officials, then we will dump a boat load of money into refurbishing the bases, stay a few years, then leave them again. We are the stupidist people when it comes to "military intelligence". Present company excluded Tom!

Gene
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Yes and no, Gene. We used Clark from before WWII until Pinatubo kicked us out in 1991. Biggest air base in the Far East, huge traffic hub during the Viet Nam war.

Not sure about the timeline for Subic Bay, but I'd hazard a guess it's roughly the same.
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Come on guys, do you really think we'd be talking about this if I didn't live here. No matter I don't believe there's been anybody in any government in any country, since the birth of the first human, that wasn't corrupt.
United States hasn't been able to vote for a president for many years before I was born. It was always a choice between one crook or the other crook. If the only person you got to vote for is a crock which crook do you want vote for? So be sure, during the next presidential election, to vote for the crook of your choice. ;) :?
My two centavos.
Two centavos PHP = $0.003691062 USD :o ;)
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Jim in RP wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:39 pm Come on guys, do you really think we'd be talking about this if I didn't live here. No matter I don't believe there's been anybody in any government in any country, since the birth of the first human, that wasn't corrupt.
United States hasn't been able to vote for a president for many years before I was born. It was always a choice between one crook or the other crook. If the only person you got to vote for is a crock which crook do you want vote for? So be sure, during the next presidential election, to vote for the crook of your choice. ;) :?
My two centavos.
Two centavos PHP = $0.003691062 USD :o ;)

You got that right. There are lots of good people who could lead the county, but they are not going to put their family through all the crap rrequired, and most have a few skeletons in their closet. Not many people could put up with all the scrutiny involved in running for office. And the fricking media would just crucify a person.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Jim in RP wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:39 pm Come on guys, do you really think we'd be talking about this if I didn't live here.
Well at least we are talking and showing somw signs of life.

;)
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Jim in RP wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:39 pm Well at least we are talking and showing somw signs of life. ;)
You're absolutely right Sid thank you for posting. Glad we're all still breathing.
I've been running off the 8 1/2 KW standby generator since 7 o'clock this morning. It's now almost 6 PM been running for 11 hours. TV don't work during power outages so it's been computer all day when I haven't been sleeping. :x :roll:
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Jim in RP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:00 am
Jim in RP wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:39 pm Well at least we are talking and showing somw signs of life. ;)
You're absolutely right Sid thank you for posting. Glad we're all still breathing.
I've been running off the 8 1/2 KW standby generator since 7 o'clock this morning. It's now almost 6 PM been running for 11 hours. TV don't work during power outages so it's been computer all day when I haven't been sleeping. :x :roll:

That starts adding up in gas bills !! yikes.

Gene
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Yeah, I burn 15 $20 worth of diesel fuel. I figure it's a small price to pay for living in the tropical jungle.
Yeah it's winter here just like it is where you're at got so damn cool I had to turn the air conditioner off. :D :lol: