Hi, I'm Paul and I...

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Hi, I'm Paul and I...

Post by PHPaul » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:57 am

am a compulsive pack rat...

Surfing Craigslist and clicked on an add for a free lathe. The picture showed it as an old line-shaft driven unit that had been converted to motor drive. Pretty common, most of them worn plumb out and missing some parts.

This one is no different. It's covered in rust, partially disassembled and appears to have been abandoned for years.

A couple of things intrigue me about it tho. Mostly, it's the 4-jaw chuck that appears to be in usable condition. There are a few other bits and pieces that might work with my Seneca Falls antique and the cast iron legs would work great for a bench or sell on ebay. Interesting enough to go take a look at it anyway.

Have arranged to go over (2 hours away, good chance for a motorcycle ride...) and get a closer look and take some measurements to see if it's worth dragging the truck and trailer over to get it.

Free is good, right?

Bernie/MA

Re: Hi, I'm Paul and I...

Post by Bernie/MA » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am

So am I. That's why I have little paths in my shop. Unless you have odd shaped pieces to chuck up a 4 jaw is a PIA. Takes forever to center round stock. OTH, I know next to nothing about lathes. I have one similar I bought fot 100 bucks.

Okierob

Post by Okierob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:24 am

I'm not even sure what all i have anymore. Some of it has been shoved in covey holes for so long.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:03 am

Got that beast home last night.

Had to disassemble it pretty much completely to get it up on the trailer. Plan A was to cabbage a few parts off it and sell/scrap the rest. Now I'm not so sure. The ways are in good shape, the spindle felt pretty tight and overall it looks good under the crustiness.

Plan B is to look it over much closer today and decide whether to try to get it running. There may be a problem with the apron, the guy said he thought it had a broken gear. I was running short on time and didn't examine it as I was taking it for parts anyway.

It doesn't appear that anything will directly fit my Seneca Falls anyway, tho the 4 jaw chuck may work if the bolt pattern for the back is the same.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Over the last few days, I've been taking that old lathe apart, cleaning it up and checking it out as I go.

So far, I haven't found anything seriously wrong with it. The ways are in good shape except immediately under the chuck, which is to be expected. A few applications of Rustoleum Rust Remover and some careful scraping and they look good as new.

I've take the head stock completely apart and the spindle bearings are a little worn but nothing serious. All the gears and shafts look good, just need to buff them up and lubricate them. Tail stock likewise, just needs cleaning.

Haven't gotten into the apron yet but a quick look doesn't show any problems.

Took apart the home-engineered belt drive adapter that allows a regular electric motor to drive it, REALLY crusty but solid. I'll strip the old, peeling paint off it, buff up the shafts and lube it good.

This morning's project was to check out the motor. It's a Century 1/2 horse 1725 RPM motor and it's a BEAST. I bet that thing weighs 70 pounds. Plate says it's Repulsion Start/Induction Run. Wiped it down good, blew the windings out with an air hose and looked it all over. Spun the pulley by hand and it was quiet and coasted for quite a while, indicating that the bearings were in good shape. Figured what the hey, I'll wire it up and see if it'll run.

Spun right up, centrifugal start switch clicks in and out as it should, coasts for nearly a minute after shutting it off. No smoke, no smell, no problems. Seeing as it doesn't appear to be broke, I'll just clean it up, fill the oil cups and call it good.

According to what I can find on the Innerwebz and going by the data plate, this motor may have been built in 1910 and is almost certainly over 100 years old. Try that with the Chineseum motors you buy today!

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:00 pm

I'll bet that ole gal is just tickled as can be that someone is showering some attention on her!!!

I just love shining up stuff. I have my grandfathers old hand cranked drill press to fix up sometimes. I don't have any bits for it though.

Otherwise it is really neat looking.

Gene

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:33 am

This is what it looked like when I went to get it.

This is what it looks like today after 4-5 days of cleaning, wirebrushing, repairing, lubricating and adjusting.

Made some chips with it just to check that things were in alignment and it didn't make any funny noises. All I had to do was snug up the end play on the spindle a tad and align the tailstock to the headstock. Chuck has ~.001 runout at the body which is good even for a new lathe, much less one likely over 100 years old! Chucked up a precision ground pin and was able to dial it in to about half a thou without too much fussing.

Need to shim the outer headstock bearing cap as I can't snug it down without it binding, but other than that, I'm happy with it as it is.

Total investment 1 tank of gas to go get it ($40), a new flat belt ($25) and some #12-3 cord to wire the motor and switch with (about $25, I bought 30 feet to have some on hand, didn't use all of it) so <$100 all told and a week of my time puttering at something I do for enjoyment anyway.

Okierob

Post by Okierob » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:27 pm

I seen where you were discussing it over on the Tales board. It all sounds Greek to me. But congrats.