And now we wait...

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

And now we wait...

Post by PHPaul » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:02 pm

I've been slowly pursuing the process of seeing if the VA will help out with some hearing aids for me.

Step 1 - File notice of intent to claim. Couple of months between mailing the form and getting acknowledgement.

Step 2 - Get current hearing test. Wait 2 months for the referral from my personal physician to turn into an actual appointment. Get test, wait 2 months (and make a couple of tersely-worded phone calls) to get the results on paper.

Step 3 - Get a copy of my DD214 that has the "Character of Service" block filled in (ie, "Honorable") Fill in request to the National Records Center. Wait another couple of months before my copies arrive in the mail.

Step 4 - Get an appointment with the Maine Bureau of Veteran's Affairs rep. Rep for my area retired, wait 6 months until they hire and train a new guy.

Step 5 - Get a call, appointment in local (Ellsworth, 20 miles) available the same week I'll be in Michigan. Wait a month for another appointment in the Bangor (70 miles) Office.

Step 6 - See the rep, give him copies of my DD214 and the results of the hearing test. Must say the guy was really good. In and out in under half an hour, forms all filled out except 3 blanks I didn't have the info on hand for. Got copies, came home and dug up the data, fill in the blanks and mail them back in the morning.

Step 7 - Wait an indeterminate length of time for the VA to decide whether to help me or tell me to take a flying leap.

Bkeepr

Re: And now we wait...

Post by Bkeepr » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Good luck! I think the “service connected or not” decision is the last big hurdle. Once they decide it is, I’ll bet you see a change in pace.

Okierob

Post by Okierob » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Those hearing tests are a crock of bull$hit. They put you in a soundproof chamber and the only thing you can hear is what they want you to hear. Put me in a normal environment and I'll miss half of what they claim I can hear.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:26 pm

Okierob wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm
Those hearing tests are a crock of bull$hit. They put you in a soundproof chamber and the only thing you can hear is what they want you to hear. Put me in a normal environment and I'll miss half of what they claim I can hear.
I was actually pretty impressed by the test they gave me.

It started with the usual sets of tones at various frequencies and levels.

Then they did one with "repeat the phrases" using various levels and words with letter combinations that are known to be hard to hear.

Then they did another "repeat the phrases" with various types and levels of background noise like conversations in a restaurant and such.

Okierob

Post by Okierob » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 pm

I never got the one with background noises. I was at a fast food place trying to understand what the girl behind the counter was saying. She repeated it three times and I still couldn't understand what she said. Too many noises.