Hmmmmm...Winter Project?

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Hmmmmm...Winter Project?

Post by PHPaul » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Spotted this MC out in the brush on the way to a friend's house. Not sunk into the ground, but a lot of grass grown up around it. Makes me think it's moved in the last few months.

Friend will try to find out who owns it and if they'd be willing to part with it.

I could use it around here for a Summer doing a little cut-and-fill in some of the rougher parts of the back pastures.

bwillett

Re: Hmmmmm...Winter Project?

Post by bwillett » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm

That would make a great stable mate for Guido.....
Bill Willett
West Central Ohio
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:21 pm

bwillett wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm
That would make a great stable mate for Guido.....
Wouldn't it just?

Few things make a better money pit than a crawler tho. If I can get it REAL cheap (or better, free...) I might see about it.

IF it runs and moves, I might part with a few Benjamins. If not, scrap prices and you can't hardly GIVE scrap away around here right now.

That's assuming the owner wants to part with it at all.

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:19 pm

My first crawler was an MC. Don't remember just how long I had it before I traded it and Ford 8N towards a brand new 420C in the Spring of '59. My fields are pretty much rock free now. and the crawler's tranny went 21 years ago. Bought it's mate from the dealer's sister. He had both for sale. I chose the 5-speed then altho the other one had a better blade set-up. Tranny went on that one too. You're right, they are a money pit when they get old. But you can't beat the work they'll do. When I had the cows in the 60s I fed all grass silage, bought what little hay I used. Flail chopper came out in '59 and I planted sudan grass to chop. In the Fall I disked and planted winter wheat and vetch. I planted with the crawler. 3-bottom plow.then pick rocks and disk harrow., pick rocks again then plant, using the 8-foot disk pulling the grain drill behind and the roller behind that. The whole rig was 40 feet long but the way it was hooked up the headlands were only about 10 feet. Those were the days. Also worked nights in the paper mill making napkins.

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Winter Project??? from now til 2025? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:37 pm

GeneSC wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:11 pm
Winter Project??? from now til 2025? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
At least! :o :lol: :shock:

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 am

Well, dodged that bullet. Owner is from several towns away and reputed to be one of those sorts that will let a machine rot into the ground rather than sell it.

Just as well, my pockets aren't that deep anyway.

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:07 am

Mine's for sale. Has a bad bearing in the tranny. Includes a homemade winch and a rock rake I built. I tried to get it running 2 years ago, couldn't't get spark. but it cranked then. Been in a shed.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:57 am

Bernie/MA wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:07 am
Mine's for sale. Has a bad bearing in the tranny. Includes a homemade winch and a rock rake I built. I tried to get it running 2 years ago, couldn't't get spark. but it cranked then. Been in a shed.
Which model is that Bernie, the 420?

Any idea what it weighs?

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Book says 4700 max pluss the rake and winch which are not on. I converted from 4 roll to 5 idlers on the bot5om but not the top idler(missing.I t is 420