Little slow around here, so...

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Little slow around here, so...

Post by PHPaul » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Speaking of fiddly...

Scale pipe gates. In S scale, they're 16 feet long by 5 feet high. That translates to a 3 inches long and an inch high in round figures. Made out of .020 brass wire and soldered together.

I scribed the layout on a piece of aluminum flashing, laid the outer perimeter over the pattern and then soldered the cross pieces in while holding them in place with a dental tool. Once I got my technique down, it took 2 or 3 minutes per section. One of those jobs where it's best to do a few at a time and take frequent breaks.

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:43 pm

PHPaul wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:28 am
Bernie/MA wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:58 am
For a guy that is supposed to be short on patience I'm amazed.
I discovered many years ago that the secret is to know when to gently lay down your tools and walk away. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for a few days and occasionally for a few months... :shock: :lol:
That is why I hate to work on my cars, but I love to work on my tractors. With the car (or the truck) it needs to get fixed or I'm stranded. I always seem to need a part or a tool that I don't have. With the tractors, when I get frustrated and pissed off, I can just walk away. Tomorrow is another day. Or maybe next week.
If I have to wait a week (or three) for parts, no big deal. Takes all the stress away.
Does wonders for my disposition. I break way less stuff this way.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Red Dave wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:43 pm
I break way less stuff this way.
Also don't spend near as much time searching through the weeds for that 9/16ths wrench I flung through the window...

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:07 am

I like working with Plaster of Paris. To make field stone foundations walls for the barn, I poured some strips 1/8th thick by 1/2 high by 7 long and let them cure.

I let them cure on top of the furnace boiler for a couple of days and then scribed grout lines in them with a dental tool and added some color to the rocks with a combination of oil and water colors.

Then I attached them to a styrofoam base with spray adhesive as they're fairly delicate. The top of the styrofoam was covered with a skim coat of plaster to simulate a concrete floor.

I also finished the haymow floor and cut a bunch more scrubbie bales and glued them in place. The floor is removable. You can see about the front 1/3rd through the mow doors. I may add more details later.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:04 pm

My order of brass angle showed up today, so I got the windmill built. It'll be plumbed to a concrete stock tank on the diorama.

Sid

Post by Sid » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:41 pm

Why do you use brass so much? Cost or easy to work with? Is it easier to paint?

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:27 am

Sid wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:41 pm
Why do you use brass so much? Cost or easy to work with? Is it easier to paint?
Mostly because I enjoy working with it. Certainly not cheap! I should really look into styrene shapes more.

EDIT: I just checked. Roughly 1/3 the price of brass. If I can find a decent source I'll order up a selection and experiment with it. I've used the sheet stuff, but not much of the various shapes like angle, I beam, round or tube.

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:28 pm

One reason is he's a professional at soldering I happen to know.

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:34 pm

I looked it up too. You might want to check on health effects.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Bernie/MA wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:34 pm
I looked it up too. You might want to check on health effects.
The smoke from the flux and (conceivably) the fumes from the solder can be toxic with extended exposure. Most modern solder is low lead so that mitigates it a lot.

I don't do a lot of it, and when I do it's in a well-ventilated area.