Little slow around here, so...

Stories, News and General Yakking
Jim in RP

Re: Little slow around here, so...

Post by Jim in RP » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:30 pm

PHPaul wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:49 pm
for that 9/16ths wrench I flung through the window...
Speaking of wrenches flung. I have been known to launch a knuckle busting ratche into space. :x :)
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:10 am

I meant the styrine.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:53 am

Bernie/MA wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:10 am
I meant the styrine.
Oh. Yeah fumes from that are nasty. Gluing it is okay, but the "good" glue that actually works is a controlled substance these days, have to be over 18 to buy it last I knew.

Sid

Post by Sid » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Oh. Yeah fumes from that are nasty. Gluing it is okay, but the "good" glue that actually works is a controlled substance these days, have to be over 18 to buy it last I knew.
Is that a problem? :D

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:16 pm

Sid wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Is that a problem? :D
Not lately... :cry: :lol:

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Working on a shop scene with the main attraction being a crawler being worked on. (Wonder where I came up with that idea?) Just happened to have a 1/64th model of a 420C so I pulled a track and a sprocket and put it up on jackstands.

Ordered a bunch of HO scale shop equipment, jack stands, a floor jack, an air compressor and a set of Oxy/Acetylene tanks.

Decided to see if I could come up with a set of regulators for the O/A rig. The "gauges" are 1/8" slugs from punching brass and the "hoses" are green and red thread super glued together.

Once I'm satisfied with the level of detail, I'll post pictures of the overall shop scene.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:17 am

After trying a couple of other options, I finally resorted to building a stand for the diorama. Now I'm playing with the placement of buildings and lanes. I'll look at this for a couple of days and see if it clicks.

Closeup of the shop. Not done detailing it yet, waiting on a couple of orders to arrive. I seriously underestimated how much one can spend on a diorama! Well into 3 figures already and not done yet, tho I don't expect any more major expenditures. (Where have I heard that fib before?)

Pretty happy with this arrangement for the barn. Weathering and scenery to be added, of course.

porkbelly

Post by porkbelly » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Wow its looking great.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 am

Got the shop detail kits in today and finished it up. Just need to weather the building a little. Won't do any landscaping until the entire layout is set up the way I want it.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:18 pm

Haven't posted anything in a while because what I'm doing is mostly prep work - preparing the base for scenery, detail painting models, weathering structures, that sort of thing. All adds a great deal to the finished product, but not especially interesting.

However, this is just too cool not to document. I'm working with an entirely new-to-me medium called "static grass". It's some sort of plastic fiber that comes in various lengths and colors. I have some yellow-green in 4mm and medium green in 7mm.

It's applied with a "static" (negative ion) generator. There are ready-made static grass applicators out there running from $35 up into three figures. Being a cheap esso bee, I built one out of a $10 "electronic fly swatter".

It's intended to run off a pair of AA cells (3V) but I Tim-the-Toolman'ed it and run it off a 9v battery. You clip the positive lead to a conductive base and place the grass to be applied on the base.

Clip the negative lead to the conductive armature you want to build the tree on and hit it with some spray adhesive, then turn Ol' Sparky on and bring the armature near the pile of grass and it'll align between the armature and the base. When it stops sticking, spray again, and apply another layer. I start with 4mm grass for the base and then add 7mm towards the bottom to get the shape I want.

The resulting "fir" trees look pretty darn good IMHO.

Note to self: When holding the metal hemostats with the armature in one hand, it is not generally advised to adjust the position of the tray with the other hand. 12KV will BITE even at some miniscule fraction of a milliamp...