WooHoo! Hey Bernie!

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

WooHoo! Hey Bernie!

Post by PHPaul » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:56 am

I reposted the dozer parts on Craigslist last week. Got an email from a guy wanted one final drive and maybe a steering clutch.

He just left with both final drives, both steering clutches, the radiator and the center section. Plus, the guy that rode down with him bought an old snowblower I had since he blew his up the last snow storm.

That puts me over the top, made back what I paid for it, plus a little for my time and still have the dozer blade and sheet metal to sell.

Sid

Re: WooHoo! Hey Bernie!

Post by Sid » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Wish I could sell some of my surplus that easy.

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Hey, that's really good news. I'm glad I didn't have the money to pay somebody to fix it. Wish I could remember what noise it was making when I shut it down. I know I wasn't using the DR. Did you get any clue why the DR shaft blew thru the case?

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:02 am

The front bearing on the output shaft blew up. The retaining nut that holds the front of the output shaft is actually covered by the reverser casting. When the bearing went, the shaft flopped around just enough for the retaining nut to beat a hole in the casting. That dumped the oil out of the casting and all the bearings in the reverser dried out and blew up too. The center casting between the transmission and the engine had a 2 inch thick coating of dried out transmission oil in it.

When the output shaft was flopping around due to no front bearing, that ate up the pinion and ring gears and more of the bearings in the transmission.

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:34 pm

It must have been quiet for quite a while. I know enough to shut something down if it starts making noise, altho it just had a straight pipe.