Chain saw recommendations?

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Re: Chain saw recommendations?

Post by Bkeepr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:28 am

The Husqvarna dealer offered (and I did it) if I bought 3 quarts of Husqvarna’s pre-mixed ethanol-free gas when I bought the saw, the 2 year warranty would become a 4 year warranty. I will do my best to avoid ethanol gas, and the truoil or equal might help do that. Awfully expensive tho...

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:34 am

Bkeepr wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:28 am
The Husqvarna dealer offered (and I did it) if I bought 3 quarts of Husqvarna’s pre-mixed ethanol-free gas when I bought the saw, the 2 year warranty would become a 4 year warranty. I will do my best to avoid ethanol gas, and the truoil or equal might help do that. Awfully expensive tho...
We have gone to the pre-mixed gas for all the saws on our fire apparatus. They sit for months between uses sometimes, even though they get run regularly during maintenance checks. But maintenance runs and running for emergency use are two different things and the pre-mixed does last longer.

I go out of my way to find non-ethanol gas to mix with oil for my 2 cycle equipment at home. There are only two stations in the area that carry it, and it is about $1.50 more per gallon. I always use the manufacturers oil and mix it exactly per the label. I learned that back in the early '70's when we bought a brand new Lawn Boy mower and it came with a 4 pack of Lawn Boy oil. Before that we always just used whatever 30wt was laying around and mixed it, but it was inconsistent. Found that using the right oil and precision mixing made all the difference in making a 2 cycle start easy and run good. That Lawn Boy lasted for 40 years. Carried that through with the Echo saw and weed eater using Echo oil too. Never had any fuel problems with either of them.

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 pm

I went to a wood cutting for a fella here locally with cancer. there were close to 50 people. I counted the saws when we did a group photo. I remember their being 96 saws. 95 were sthil. I do think Husqvarna is right up there.

I see lots on the local marketplace for sale, but usually smaller, ad priced too high. I figure 25% dony work and 25% stolen .

Good luck, Gene