Chain saw recommendations?

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Re: Chain saw recommendations?

Post by Bkeepr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:50 am

Anybody have experience with Husqvarna?

My local feed/farm place has one with 24” bar that’d work, and at $549 it is 60 bucks cheaper than the comparable Stihl. Thoughts?

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Bkeepr wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:50 am
Anybody have experience with Husqvarna?

My local feed/farm place has one with 24” bar that’d work, and at $549 it is 60 bucks cheaper than the comparable Stihl. Thoughts?
Should be fine. I've always felt it was six of one and a half dozen of the other between Stihl and Husqvarna.

Sid

Post by Sid » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:41 pm

I pronounced it " pullin' " but yeah, same idea. Miserable sonofabitch to start and when it was running it wouldn't pull a sick whore off a cold pisspot.
[/quote]

Why would you want to do that anyway :?:

Sid

Post by Sid » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Do they service them? I do not buy from them if they don't have a service department. I quit shopping around for stuff like that. Around here Race Brothers get my buss ines. When you buy a chain saw, mower or what ever they take it in the back put oil and fuel in it and start it before it goes out the door. I do not know if all Stihll dealers do that or not.

Jim in RP

Post by Jim in RP » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Miserable sonofabitch to start and when it was running it wouldn't pull a sick whore off a cold pisspot.
:mrgreen: :lol: :D :roll:
ROTFLMAO. You do have a way with words. :roll:
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"

Patbridges81

Post by Patbridges81 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:29 pm

I think I remember an old man once throwing a stihl or pull-on chain saw once after it broke, and went to get a much more expensive husqvarna. That's when I learned you get what you pay for.
Patrick In MI

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Well, I bought the Husqvarna 460 Rancher this afternoon. Dealer serviced it, filled it, and started/tested it before handing it over. We'll see, it is 3 lbs heavier than my 18" Stihl, but it is big enough to do what I need and I hope will run and last as well as the Stihl has. The Husqvarna was exactly $100 cheaper than the Stihl ($520 versus $620), and I just couldn't justify the extra hundred bucks.

thanks everyone for all the advice--and the laugh! I gotta go saw some wood to sell to pay for this new toy. :lol:

Ret

Post by Ret » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:10 pm

Tom. I used to take my husky to a professional small engine guy every year. He stressed very highly that the worse thing to do is use gas with ethanol in it. And if you do. empty the tank if you are not gonna use it again for awhile. HUSKY is a good saw
Ret

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:42 pm

Ret,
my problem with ethanol is that there are only 56 gas stations in the entire state of Maryland that sell any gas without ethanol! The closest one to me is in Hagerstown, about 30 minutes away by Interstate 70. I do plan to start going there for gas for my 2-stroke engines, but I couldn't do that for everything I own, I'd have to start working again to pay for it! :D

Sid

Post by Sid » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:16 pm

Bkeepr wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:42 pm
Ret,
my problem with ethanol is that there are only 56 gas stations in the entire state of Maryland that sell any gas without ethanol! The closest one to me is in Hagerstown, about 30 minutes away by Interstate 70. I do plan to start going there for gas for my 2-stroke engines, but I couldn't do that for everything I own, I'd have to start working again to pay for it! :D
We keep a can of true fuel on hand. we use non ethonal for our saw gas mix if we are going to do quite a bit of cutting. For that occasional get a tree of the fence we us true fuel instead of mixing a jug. If a jug af mix has been around for awhile I dump it in the pickup tank. Our saws may sit six months or so with out being used. Some fire departments use true fuel for their saw gas.