Power line question

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Power line question

Post by Bkeepr » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:10 am

Probably a stupid question, but I gotta ask. Can any of you identify the "type" of power line in the picture below? By that I mean, is it "high voltage" or intermediate...or whatever the proper name for it is?

Reason I'm asking-- son and DIL are looking at buying a house that is near these lines, and because they're planning to start a family they are concerned about possible health issues with "high power lines" near by the house. I'm trying to research as much as I can to help them, and any and all data/info is appreciated.

thanks!
tom

PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Power line question

Post by PHPaul » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:07 am

Red Dave will have the definitive answer, but yes, those are High Voltage Transmission Lines.

The strength of the electromagnetic field (EMF) generated by the line decreases as the square of the distance, so unless you live right underneath them, health issues related to EMF are unlikely IMO.

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:06 pm

I saw your question on KL first, so I answered over there. This is what I posted:

Can't tell much from the picture. I can usually get an approximate idea from the size of the insulator stacks, but I can't see them in that picture. There appears to be two sets of tower lines, 4 three phase circuits total. In any event, I doubt they are less than 66k volts, possibly as high as 230k volts.

You also might want to investigate how wide that right of way is. Transmission companies often don't use the whole right of way, which gives them room to add a new line in the future. A new line could pop up where you didn't expect one too.

I think you are wise to consider the proximity to Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF's). There are some studies that suggest they can be detrimental for pregnant women and young children. And then there are some people who think we should transmit wireless power like Tesla wanted to do. They don't understand the massive EMF's it would require to do that.

Those fields dissipate rapidly over fairly short distances (Field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance). So distance from a power line is your friend.

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks for both answers. I had not thought about possibility of the power company "re-cycling" the right of way in the future for bigger lines, but realistically I think the political fight in the surrounding neighborhoods (a "nicer" area of not insignificant homes in politically active northern VA) would make that unlikely...but it is a consideration for them.

appreciate all the help!
Tom