Shame.....

Stories, News and General Yakking
GeneSC

Re: Shame.....

Post by GeneSC » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Formerly loopy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 am
Hey Jim , thanks for posting. I hope that you are well enough and hanging in there.
I’ve always tried to respect non drinkers. But I wasn’t aware just how many people judge the decision until I myself stopped drinking. My only sister blew up at me, yelled that I treated her like shit, and refused to talk to me over one sentence. “ no thank you, I haven’t had a drink in over a year and a half”
The whole attitude just boggles my mind.
I had already been affected health wise after taking care of hubby’s parents, the death of his father, the death of my mother, then the situation with my son, I currently have to fight very hard to keep a 90 lb. weight. So the fight goes on ....
Hang in there from loopy
Loopy I stopped drinking in 1994, (heavy user) and found out quickly that my friends were NOT really friends!! 'snubbed me' for a while and then lost all contact. ( Not a very big loss!!) not long after began to meet new friends and my life has been very good , met my current wife (actually before I quit drinking) and fell in Love (again) but she wouldn't marry me as long as I was drinking, so I quit!!! been married to her for 25 yrs. The BEST 25 years of my life. We drink a little wine in the afternoon but NOTHING stronger. Hang in there, Things WILL get better for you. Look for places to make new friends. (Church is a good place to start) They are always having some kind of activities to meet new people. Keep strong, you'll be OK, :mrgreen:
Gene

Formerly loopy

Post by Formerly loopy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks gene, someone explained it (the snubbing) as such: they take you quitting, like it’s a direct slam on them. Not considering it was a conscious personal choice.
So there ya go, it sure didn’t make that day any easier. But I feel I understand some things better now.
Loops

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:08 am

Well, you are still Loopy to us. Sure glad to see you back here. Probably 30 years ago my dad pulled the grain truck out in front of a neighbor and his wife. The wife was killed. My dad didn't drink, but he never really never got over that day. Us kids were friends with their kids, and it caused a rift that the youngest son has still not gotten over. I see the older son once in a while, and he is so good and forgiving. But it is still always there, in the back of your mind. The driver of the other car was tinkering with his radio and they went around a sharp bend in the road. My dads truck had barely pulled on the pavement, about 2', so the driver was somewhat at fault, but still my dad didn't see them and it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't pulled out. The woman killed was going to chemo treatments and had been given less than 6 months to live. After the accident the husband told my dad that in a way it was a blessing.

But, life goes on. I don't think a one of us has not screwed up royally a bunch of times. I know I sure have.

Don't be a stranger here Loopy.

Bless you and your family,

Gene

Sid

Post by Sid » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 pm

Well this is a surprise, good to see you posting here. If I remember right Fernan is your neighbor. If you don't mind I would like an update on him. Keep on posting.

moll

Post by moll » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:04 pm

I got down to less than 4 beers a year, usually in august during the show or in july while
we bale hay, always bought by somebody else, the last three beers I owned have been in
the fridge for three years now. Donna doesn't throw them away, im not sure why, guess I
will have to but just having them there for that time and not touching them has given me
some kinda pride, I guess.
Last year I had five beers balin hay for a friend and I got the gout for four months. Tried
a red meat free diet, everything, nothing worked. Had to make it go away with steroids.
That being said, you are not alone Loop.
My friends and I should have died 50 deaths or more in our early days. Since then I find
a lot of peace in the peace that passes all understanding. The forgiveness that is there
for anyone in the world that needs it, and its not something that you accept, its already
given through the death of the son of God. All a person needs is the holy spirit and the
weight of the world can be lifted off your shoulders like a summer breeze on a hot day,
like a hot cup of coffee on the coldest day of winter.
Human beings, all of us children of God, MAKE MISTAKES. Sometimes those mistakes and
trials can be a very heavy burden. But none heavier than Jesus dying a horrible death on
the cross to take away all of our sins and shortcomings, all of our heaviest burdens. THAT
is some kinda love right there, far greater than any human can give, much greater than
we can understand. The kind of love we don't deserve, but receive just the same.