Little slow here, so...

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Little slow here, so...

Post by PHPaul » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:14 pm

I'll bore y'all with an update on my farm diorama.

The original layout (2 feet by 4 feet) is pretty much done, tho there's always room for little details. I had a couple of more buildings I wanted to add but there just wasn't room, so I added another 2x4 section:

One of the things I wanted to add was this scratch-built corn crib. It's modeled after the one on the farm I grew up on. Wasn't used for corn by the time I was old enough to be involved in picking corn, but I do remember there being corn in it. Mostly it got used to park equipment under and I wanted a place to put my model JD630 with the mounted picker.

The expansion will also get a garden behind the house, a hill in one corner with a stream and small waterfall running down behind the house. Gives me an excuse to build a bridge over the stream so Maw can get to the garden.

Seeing as I have more room, I can expand my "spare inventory pile" and no farm junkyard is complete without an old rusted out pickup, so:

I started out with this. Drilled out the rivets, popped the body off, cut off the cab and popped everything in a jar of brake fluid to strip the paint.

After the paint was removed, I went at it with a pair of pliers and a vise and bent, twisted and crushed the cab and fenders and drilled a few bullet holes for effect. Then I superglued everything into a pile and:

Then I stood WAY back and splattered it with some Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. It'll get posed next to my junk pile with a tree growing up through the frame.

"Ran when parked, not for sale, I'm gonna restore it..." :lol:

Bkeepr

Re: Little slow here, so...

Post by Bkeepr » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:11 am

I am, quite simply, in awe of your talent, good eye, and perseverance. What a beautiful project...

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:45 am

Thank you.

There's a saying: "All his taste is in his mouth." For the most part, that applies to me, but occasionally, I can reproduce what I've seen or imagined.

I tried to do stuff like this when I was a kid, but didn't have the experience, resources, tools or materials. Crude doesn't begin to describe the results but ya gotta start somewhere I guess.

RickyB

Post by RickyB » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:39 am

your farm is looking great. Looks like a fun project.Maybe you can add a still in the back corner to treat your Homies when they stop by.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:07 am

RickyB wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:39 am
your farm is looking great. Looks like a fun project.Maybe you can add a still in the back corner to treat your Homies when they stop by.

Hmmmmmmmmm. I do have a little patch of woods to work with...

Formerly loopy

Post by Formerly loopy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Pretty good work there, sir.

moll

Post by moll » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Wow, that's awesome Paul. Didn't see the progression of that truck on the loafer board.