Haven't posted in awhile

Stories, News and General Yakking
Patbridges81

Haven't posted in awhile

Post by Patbridges81 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 pm

So I live in Michigan and I'm a EMT for a Grand Rapids ambulance agency. The virus has been super stressful as our call volume has been up over 25% of what it is normally. People are coughing once or twice and then calling 911 saying they are having difficulty breathing fearing they contracted covid19, so we are n95 masked up for all those calls as a precaution.

On Monday I transported a patient that was complaining of nausea. This patient is a frequent flier and lived in senior living apartments, calls 911 cause he gets bored and wants to get out for the day and have some human interaction. I'm used to these patients. Problem was, he didnt meet the criteria for airborne precautions, so I ran the call without a mask.

Wednesday I head into work, get in the rig and start my shift, run a few calls and then the director of ops calls my phone, giving me a heads up that the nausea patient I transported tested positive for COVID19. I start freaking out afraid I brought it home to my girlfriend and our 11 month old baby. My work sent me to get tested and then home. I sleep in my mancave shed awaiting results, finally get them back today (Friday) and it came back negative.

I definitely learned my lesson, every call, every patient, every facility I enter, I will assume they have the virus and I'll have my n95, and gloves on. Everyone says us EMS workers are gonna catch it eventually, and I can accept that, I just want to protect my family as much as possible. A wonderful donor is bringing over a RV for me to use after I transport a positive patient for me to use to self quarantine from my family. Even though we're all still heading to work everyday until we show symptoms of the virus, which means itll already be too late cause of the onset of symptoms being up to 14 days out.

Hope everyone is staying safe out there!
Patrick In MI

Bkeepr

Re: Haven't posted in awhile

Post by Bkeepr » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:49 am

Pat,

you've got a tough job-- a lot of my Philadelphia family is in health care, so I'm at least a little familiar. Sounds like you're doing the best that can be done in taking care of your family and the patients...my hat is off to you, thanks for doing it.

Tom A

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Glad you are OK. So what is the scoop on reusing the N-5 ? We had two on hand, so my wife and I labeled them. She wore hers for the first time this morning to our "Designated old folks shopping hour" at the local grocery.

We brought it home, and stuck it in my BIPAP ozone type sterilizer. Directions says it kills 99.9% of bacteria, virus and mold. Hope so, we only have the one mask each. I didn't want to spray Lysol or anything on it, figured getting it wet would start it to break down.

Take care.

Gene

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Pat-- it's been 2 weeks since you posted, you still doing ok? Let us know, k?