Made hay yesterday!

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Made hay yesterday!

Post by Bkeepr » Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 am

Yesterday I actually baled a few bales from a back field.

I've never made it this early before, but with my "new-ish" tiny equipment I was able to get into the field weeks earlier than I otherwise would and I figured I'd give it a try. Only mowed about an acre 2 days ago, the day after we got 2+" of rain, but it was a good post-winter test of the mower, rake, and baler, and it gave me something to do.

Nicest first cutting hay I've ever made--very leafy, no stalk, more like a 2d cutting than first.

GeneMO

Re: Made hay yesterday!

Post by GeneMO » Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 am

Were you able to get it dried out? I always hated to get a big rain, but if it happened right away, before the hay had dried much, it helped. We would turn it, and turn it some more.

My dads saying on hay that had gotten wet after mowing. "wait till you think it is ready to bale, then wait another day"

Take care, Gene

Bkeepr

Re: Made hay yesterday!

Post by Bkeepr » Wed May 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Your Dad's advice was right on. Unfortunately, we had more rain in the forecast overnight and today, so I baled it because I believed it was dry enough, but would have felt better with one more dry day! I guess I'll find out for sure when I try to feed it to the mule.