Score?

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Score?

Post by PHPaul » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:53 am

Update:

It's a Satoh tractor which was bought out by Mitsubishi toward the end of it's production run. This is a late-ish model after the Mitsu takeover, but uses a Mazda engine.

Biggest problem was the Previous Owner was troubleshooting a no-start problem and took the distributor out. Before he got back to it, he fell off a roof and broke his neck (hence his mobility problems) and now doesn't have a clue where it went.

I was able to find a used one via locator service at Robert's Farm Equipment in Camden, OH. While I was waiting for that search to bear fruit, I rebuilt the wiring harness, replaced the alternator, voltage regulator and ignition switch, cleaned and kitted the carburetor and did a little Redneck Body Work on the tin (think BFH...)

So this morning I finished up some detail work here and there and grabbed the baddry out of Guido to see what I could see.

After some dicking around getting the distributor timed right and replacing a water hose I've gotten it to start and run for a few seconds but the carb needs more work and it's flooding out. Looks like the needle valve isn't seating and/or the fuel pump is overpowering it.

All in all, I'm encouraged, but it's now Too Damned Hot to frig with it any more until this evening or tomorrow morning at oh-dark-thirty. Posta cool down a little first of the week, hoping to get it running smoothly by then. Assuming no major problems (and there are no indications of any so far) I'll spring for new front tires and tubes and a seat for it.

bwillett

Post by bwillett » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Yea !!! You are on the way to being a collector.... :lol:
Bill Willett
West Central Ohio
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:50 am

https://youtu.be/OrlP1i0S9sg

Found a jet hiding behind the bowl drain plug that I didn't realize was there as it was covered with crud.

Cleaned that out and it starts and runs very nicely.

swampy

Post by swampy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Good deal, always great when you find the cause. ;)