Stihl chain saw problems

Stories, News and General Yakking
GeneMO

Stihl chain saw problems

Post by GeneMO » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 am

Is it just me, or do Stihl chain saws have problems with leaking bar oil? I have several that seem to leak. The most aggravating one is only about a year and a half old. Danged dealer I bought it from went out of business about 8 months after I bought it.

It is a MS 180 C, the new "easy start" type with a 16" bar. I really like the saw, but can't set it down anywhere overnight or there will be a big oil spot the next morning. Anyone have any experience fixing this issue?

Thanks, Gene

PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Stihl chain saw problems

Post by PHPaul » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:06 am

My old (30-ish years) Stihl 025 doesn't have that problem. No experience with the newer ones.

I HAVE heard that Stihl's quality has taken a nose-dive in the last couple of years, especially the homeowner grade stuff.

Diehard Stihl fans are saying go Husky or go pro grade to get a decent saw.

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:48 am

GeneMO wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 am
Is it just me, or do Stihl chain saws have problems with leaking bar oil? I have several that seem to leak. The most aggravating one is only about a year and a half old. Danged dealer I bought it from went out of business about 8 months after I bought it.

It is a MS 180 C, the new "easy start" type with a 16" bar. I really like the saw, but can't set it down anywhere overnight or there will be a big oil spot the next morning. Anyone have any experience fixing this issue?

Thanks, Gene
No personal experience with Stihl, but I know a lot of guys who swear by them, but they are buying higher end models for heavy duty use.

What I have found on a lot of things is that, if you are having a problem with something, chances are you are not alone. Somewhere out there somebody is asking the same questions that you are. My suggestion is to do a search for "stihl ms 180 c leaking bar oil problems" or words similar to that. Somebody out there may have found a solution that might work for you.

Jim in RP

Post by Jim in RP » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:40 pm

I had a PULL-ON with a 16 in. bar in Alaska with the same problem. What I discovered was that with the heat of running it. The bar oil tank would build a little presser after shut down and push the oil out. What I did was to set it down with the fill cap up and then loosen the cap. It didn't compleately stop but it did greately reduce the oil leakage. :) Hope it works for you. ;) I also kept paper or cardboard under it, up until I junked it. It is called a PULL-ON for a reason. I never bought a PULL-ON that one was a Christmas gift from wife #2. I think she knew what she was buying and knew it would torment the hell out of me. :x
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:02 am

I've got an 18" Stihl that's about 5 years old...don't recall the model number. I love it-- always starts easy regardless of weather, runs great, cuts great.

As far as your observation leaking oil: all 3 of my saws (Stihl, Husky, and Homelight) have oil spots under them when I set them down for a few hours and where I store them permanently. That said, none of them (including the Stihl) continue to leak for long, they just leave an oil spot when I set it somewhere after using it. It seems that the bigger the saw's bar, the more oil I see under it. I've always attributed that to the bar oil that is in the oil channels (hose from the oil tank, and oil channels all through the bar) just draining out from use. My belief is that is why it takes a few seconds after startup to see oil flowing from the chain again, the channel has to re-fill.

I don't know that for sure, but it is my theory and I'm stickin' to it. :lol:

BUT, if your saw is leaking to the point where the bar oil tank empties out when the saw is not running, though, then I'd think clearly there's something wrong with the saw.

good luck!
tom

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 pm

All good advice !

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Gene, my 2 year old Husky does the same thing. every time I use it and put it in the shop it leaks all the bar oil out. My Poulan does the same thing. I have learned to "live with it" and watch where you set it when finished with it. :D