Panic-- lost dogs

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Panic-- lost dogs

Post by Bkeepr » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:10 am

Well, two of my three Spinone puppies climbed the fence (went right over the barbed wire strand at the top!) and ran off this morning. Horrible feeling, I contacted the neighbors, etc etc.

Finally after about 40 minutes I got a phone call on my cell from a very nice guy who told me he had them and they were safe. They had covered at least a couple of miles in a very short time and became disoriented. Fortunately, we have their names and our phone numbers on brass plates on their collars. How lucky they were found by the guy who found them-- they're not entirely trusting of strangers, but they came right to him. He's former Marine who knew just how to handle the situation. I'm so relieved, and have made a new friend to boot.

Now I need to put a strand of hot electric fencing on stand-offs around the bottom and the top of the regular fence. Gotta make challenging the fence painful, or they will do it again and again. So much for my plan for the day!

PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Panic-- lost dogs

Post by PHPaul » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:32 pm

That's a horrible feeling, I know and SUCH a relief when it ends well.

As you said, break 'em of it now or you never will.

GeneMO

Re: Panic-- lost dogs

Post by GeneMO » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:21 pm

We had coon dogs running in our timber for several days. We could hear them, and the neighbors were talking about hearing and seeing them as well. I was gone for 3 days to a meeting and naturally they chose this time to show up on our car port at night. I was home the following day, we heard them again, and this time were able to lure them closer with food. Called the guys name on the collar. They had been gone almost 3 weeks, and were 6 miles from home.

He was glad to get them back.

Gene