Another new hobby? Clocks...

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Another new hobby? Clocks...

Post by Bkeepr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:14 am

We have several old wind-up clocks at our house-- I love the tick-tock sound-- but they need to be serviced every few years. I learned the hard way that if you don't have them cleaned and oiled regularly, then it becomes a major repair instead, and that really costs a bundle. Still, even a clean and oil can be $100-200 on the old ones (at least around here).

So one of ours quit 2-3 months ago because it hasn't been oiled in 6 or 8 years. But I didn't want to spend the money right now. So I looked on the internet, and found a "do it yourself kit." $25 bucks.

Yesterday I opened up the clock, took the movement out, cleaned it, oiled it, and put it together. 12 hours and 10 minutes later, the clock is still running, and exactly on time. And the kit has enough oil, grease and supplies to probably last my lifetime's worth of clean and oiling on our 1/2 dozen clocks. How cool!!

Of course, I need one more hobby like I need a hole in my head, but heck...

PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Another new hobby? Clocks...

Post by PHPaul » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:52 am

Satisfying tho, isn't it?

I've been in maintenance in one form or another pretty much all my working life. It's probably weird, but I get a lot of pleasure out of taking something apart, cleaning it up, lubing it and putting it back together.

In fact, I just this morning did that on the left kingpin on the Satoh which was full of dried up gunk and stiffer than a June Groom. All good now, just waiting on wheel bearings and grease seals.

As soon as I know I have supplies on hand, I'll do the other side, tho it's not nearly as tight as the left side was.

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:00 am

Absolutely satisfying. Like you, I've always loved taking apart stuff and repairing it. I was puzzled in college when the head of the engineering department took us out to his car for some practical discussion, and he said "some of you guys will have to really speak up here, because, while I am an excellent engineer, I am a lousy mechanic." Just didn't make sense to me....

bwillett

Post by bwillett » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:19 am

Bkeepr, and Fawteen, i know what you mean. I have had this old WC Allis Chalmers tractor for a few years and was just content to put up with it as it was because I was hesitant to dive into it. Over the last 6 months I have had the hood, gas tank, and fenders off, sandblasted, painted and I put them back on, and started on the engine.
I took the cap off the magneto without knowing what I was doing :oops: and ended up having to re-time it :cry: . In the process I realized I had the spark plug wires in the wrong firing order :twisted: . It now starts and runs better than it ever has.....It would be difficult to wipe this smile off my face...... :D
Bill Willett
West Central Ohio
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?

bwillett

Post by bwillett » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 am

Oh, and I will look for that kit to clean wind-up clocks, I have 2. One I had cleaned a few years ago and it has run good ever since. The other needs the same done, but if I can do it, and save a few bucks, I will, because the one that runs will need cleaned again, I am sure.....
Bill Willett
West Central Ohio
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:45 pm

I too love fixing stuff up. Even if it is a pair of rusty Vice grips. Clean em, get rid of rust and grime, oil and free up. The majority of my hand tools are second hand stuff that I picked up over 40 years of traveling the Midwest for work. I rarely passed up an yard sale, flea market, junk store. Looking for American hammers, wood chisels, adjustable wrenches, tools in general. I drug em home.

Gene

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Well, I don't know how this is going to go...I just took apart my first clock works. It is an old Ingraham mantel clock, made in February of 1921--so nearly 100 years old.

I've been studying it for quite awhile, and reading about it. First step is letting down the mainsprings. That went fine. Next step is complete disassembly and cleaning all parts. I took it apart this morning, taking lots of photos as I went, making a few notes here and there. Now I'm scared, there's a million little wheels and pinions and springs and gizmos. Not sure I'll ever get it together again, but I'm on to step 3, cleaning all the parts. I've got the time train cleaned and now drying in our food dehydrator. I think that's enough for me today. Tomorrow I'll clean the strike train, and start to inspect the time train. I'm sweating this one, though, I feel like I'm a bit over my head.

Wish me luck!

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:03 pm

"Step 4,623: Assembly is the reverse of disassembly."

:P :lol:

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:10 pm

"...and should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer."

Yeah.