Fun tractor repair, and lucky times two

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Fun tractor repair, and lucky times two

Post by Bkeepr » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:39 am

A week ago I was bush hogging with the '53 Ferguson, and the PTO shaft broke right where it enters the transmission housing (metal fatique, as near as I can make out) with a couple of big bangs. When I looked behind me, I saw the hog's long PTO shaft with overrun coupler bouncing around at full speed as the inertia of the bush hog kept it running. I knew I was lucky at that that point, as it was stretched out at nearly full length and I thought it might come off. I discovered afterwards several deep dents in the tractor right fender, just behind my seat, where the overrun coupler had hit apparently right when the shaft snapped--apparently happened before I looked behind me. If it had been a few inches longer it'd been denting me instead of some pretty substantial metal. Lucky number 1.

So yesterday I replaced the tractor's PTO shaft. I had bought the new part from YT, decided to buy the complete assembly so I'd get new bearings and such, and it was only $120. $75 worth of tranny fluid. I've only had this tractor a few years, and except for fixing some electrical problems, I've not done much with it. I drained the tranny fluid and have never seen worse-- thin like water, it looked like a 50-50 coffee-cream mix, mocca colored, and had a pound of old soil which came out at the end. So I flushed it with a couple gallons of kerosene first, got more soil and old crap out.

Then I pulled the 4 bolts holding the end of the PTO shaft, and the whole thing slid right out with no problem at all. Unpacked the new assembly, and--oh my!!-- it slid right in like it was made for it. Tightened up the 4 bolts, added 6 gallons of tranny fluid and everything works like new, and no leaks. Lucky number 2.

Easiest repair I think I've ever made...makes me wonder what is going to go wrong to counter that!??!

Dave Wi

Re: Fun tractor repair, and lucky times two

Post by Dave Wi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:46 am

If you see Murphy coming towards you, sic the dogs on him

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:59 am

Bkeepr wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:39 am

Easiest repair I think I've ever made...makes me wonder what is going to go wrong to counter that!??!

Congratulations! It's a great feeling when it all comes together like that. :D
The gods of mechanics will give you one like that every now and then just to keep you coming back for more.

Unfortunately, there will be a reversion to the mean. That means somewhere along the line there will be a payback project. Maybe more than one. :(

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Well, you save me from getting blown up by the hydraulic cylinder, glad the shaft didn't do you in. Flowers for funerals are soo expensive !!

Just think of the relief that ole tractor is feeling after getting its guts cleaned and some new "go fluid" in it. It will think it is a pup again !!

Gene