I know nobody here wants it, but wanted to share

Stories, News and General Yakking
Jim in RP

Re: I know nobody here wants it, but wanted to share

Post by Jim in RP » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:43 pm

Paul,
I am wondering just what is it about a Gmail address that would indicate a scammer or spammer? I have two gmail accounts and Im no a bad guy. I sure am not trying to defend Gmail. Im just curious as to why a gmail address would rase a red flag. ;)
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:29 pm

Jim in RP wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:43 pm
Paul,
I am wondering just what is it about a Gmail address that would indicate a scammer or spammer? I have two gmail accounts and Im no a bad guy. I sure am not trying to defend Gmail. Im just curious as to why a gmail address would rase a red flag. ;)
Jim,

I'm not the expert that Paul is, but I don't trust gmail accounts either because they're 1) free and 2) (far too) easy to obtain. I can claim to be the Queen of England and get a gmail account that says so, and there's no accountability. Yes, I know lots of great folks (and family) who have gmail, but when I don't know somebody and they contact me with one, I am on my guard until proven otherwise.

tom

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Paul,

thanks. Sometimes I feel like I'm being overly cautious (I know my adult kids sometimes think so), so it's good to have a second opinion that confirms I'm not crazy.

Tom
Yeah, I know you didn't say I wasn't crazy, but that's how I'm going to interpret it!! :lol:

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:08 pm

Jim, Tom pretty much covered it. Any schmo with internet access can get a gmail account...or several accounts. Very popular with spammers.

Perfectly fine for general use of course, just need to be sure you know who you're dealing with. Much like Yahoo accounts.

BTW, I am NOT an expert. Hell, I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in years... :lol: There was a time, 20 years ago, when I was pretty much up to speed, but 20 years is several lifetimes in the computer biz and I'm barely competent to run a 3 generation old Windows OS these days.

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:25 pm

I could see the Amish putting a more modern engine on it, say a Honda. The old gal looks oK to me. Main thing is keeping them shedded.

You should find a buyer.

Gene

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:03 am

GeneMO wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:25 pm
I could see the Amish putting a more modern engine on it, say a Honda. The old gal looks oK to me. Main thing is keeping them shedded.

You should find a buyer.

Gene
Thanks, Gene. I have had two calls on it, one turning into a visit. One of them (the guy who did not visit) wants to use it horse-drawn after he buys his small farm. The other is in his 70s, and came to look because it was exactly like his father's baler which he learned on. He wants to fix it up pretty and use his Father's tractor (which he still owns) to pull it at demo's and fairs. He wants it, but basically thinks my price is too high.

I'm hanging on for now. *If* I can make time, I can get it "field ready" over the winter and sell it for $1,000 in Springtime...it'll be the cheapest available then, by far.