CRAZY

Stories, News and General Yakking
Jim in RP

CRAZY

Post by Jim in RP » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:04 pm

Some time I think so.
Like the Santa post My mind can take me to the Twilight Zone with out warning or reason.
I was much younger, I caught a fly and pulled off its wings and released it on the coffee table. I wanted to see what it would do. I immediately realized I had just changed the fly into a WALK. :P
I was hanging under a parachute 1000 feet AGL and realized there was no sensation of falling, like I had imagined before that first jump. That is until I was about 100 feet AGL and realized the earth was rushing up to meet me. Getting to the ground before the aircraft was always FUN! Air craft I jumped; C-119, C-130, C-141 and my own (crew chef) UH-1H.
As a UH-1H (crew chef), had a Pilot that like to scare the hell out of Air Force C-130 Pilot by backing up the UH-1 at 4000 feet AGL. The air speed indicator was peg at zero. So, how do you tell when you got the Huey in reverse, at 4000 feet, AGL? :roll: :)
Just turned 19: Was ordered to dig a dead NVA out of his grave and use his grave as my fox hole. I spent a night in another man's grave. Armed to the teeth and scared as hell. :cry:
Hope you enjoyed reading more of Jim's up-bringing. ;)
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"

PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: CRAZY

Post by PHPaul » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Jesus! I bet that "foxhole" kept ya from getting drowsy tho, didn't it.

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:21 pm

I can't imagine the stuff we ask young soldiers to do.

Gene

Thanks for your service!

Jim in RP

Post by Jim in RP » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 pm

PHPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 pm
Jesus! I bet that "foxhole" kept ya from getting drowsy tho, didn't it.
On top of the fact that it was a grave some of the jungle tree roots were dripping fluorescent sap.
There were very few time I slept when I was suppose to stay awake. I did sleep through a mortar attack on the golf course during the time I was with D/227 AHC., (door gunner), I had already did 6 and 1/2 months in C/2/7th. Infantry. I knew from experience the mortar were not flying over head and went back to my cot while the rest of the company was out on the golf course inspecting damage to our helicopters. I got lucky that morning and nobody missed me. :o
I have believed that all the bad luck I have had over the years was because I used up all my good luck in 1966 Viet Nam. :? When my freedom bird (C-141) was flying me out of the kill zone Jan. 1967 I was both crying and laughing at the same time. Laughing because I had survived one year and three days in the kill zone being one of Uncle Sam's bleeding targets. I was crying because I knew that there was going to be a hell of a lot more killing after I left. That time went by as fast as a shot out of a 155 canon. Little did I know, at the time that, I was going to have to live with the survivors guilt for the rest of my life.
The lack of sleep may have helped the time go so fast. 8-)

Jim in RP

Post by Jim in RP » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:48 pm

GeneMO wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:21 pm
the stuff we ask young soldiers to do.
Gene,
Did you do time in that war? Or are you speaking from the view point of a US citizen. I have wondered a lot if anyone other than myself, here on this board, did time over there. :?:

Patria

Post by Patria » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:56 am

In the 70s I flew from The Canal Zone to Roosevelt Roads in C-5s and C-141s a couple of times. The last time I was 7 months pregnant and needed a military hospital and a plane filled with troops helped me take care of my 4 year old son during the flight as I was in bad shape.

Thanks for sharing your memories, Jim. I'm sure I'm talking for the rest of us here in the board, you can always come here and talk about your experiences like you are doing in this thread.. and of course, I thank you for your service.

Say hi to Maria for me! Hugs

Sid

Post by Sid » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:29 pm

I enjoy reading your oost, Jim