Word of Mouth

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Word of Mouth

Post by PHPaul » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Since I retired, I've been dabbling in small engine and yard equipment repair. Lawn mowers, weed eaters, chain saws...that sort of thing.

It's a one here and another there kind of thing, I might go weeks without a customer. Thing is, I get a lot of people I don't know from Adam's off ox stopping by and saying "So and so told me you're the guy to fix (fill in the blank)."

Sure, why not, I'll have a look at it.

The thing about chain saws is, 90% of homeowners don't know how to start them or how to recognize a dull chain. Got one this morning. "Won't start. Haven't used it in a year or so. Last time I got it started, it keep bogging down in the cut."

Well, Scooter, MOST gas engines won't start without some gas in them. There was about a teaspoonful in one corner of the tank. Filled it, choked it, yanked it twice and it farted. Took the choke off, yanked it twice more and it ran. Took throttle good, wound up good.

Took it down back for a test cut. It ain't the engine bogging, it's the fact that the chain has been ground back so far that the bar is wider than the teeth. New chain time, Scooter...

One guy SWORE his saw wouldn't start for him. Dropped it off, I looked at it, didn't see anything out of line, tried to start it. It DID take a few pulls to get gas up to the carb, but it started and ran fine. Gave it back to him the next day. Got a call in about an hour, "I thought you fixed this thing?"

Well, bring it by, I'll look at it again, no charge. He handed it to me, I flipped it to choke, yanked on it twice, flipped it to run, yanked on it once and VROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!

He looked at me and "What was that you were doing when you started it?" A little light went on in my mind, and I knew the problem right off.

He was trying to start it by the procedure in the Safety Nazi book that came with it: Put it on the ground, step on the foot plate on the bottom of the handle and pull. I was "drop starting" it. Hold the saw in one had, grab the rope handle with the other and push the saw away from you as you pull the cord. Get a MUCH faster spin that way, and (due to the magneto ignition) a much hotter spark. Starts WAY better.

Stony Jim

Re: Word of Mouth

Post by Stony Jim » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:52 pm

I gotta Stihl 660. You better set it on the ground, stand on the foot plate and lean hard on the cross handle! Don't ferget the compression release, or it will straighten out yer finnigers in a hurry- or pull you over on it.

tacon1

Post by tacon1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Reminds me of the old story about the city guy new to the country when he bought his first chainsaw. Dealer sold him a real nice saw and guaranteed it was a great cutting saw and would cut all the firewood he would use.

Guy came back to the shop first thing Monday morning and said this saw ain't at all what you said it would be. I spent all weekend with it and wore myself out and cut hardly any wood at all.

Dealer grabbed the saw, pulled the cord and VROOOMM it fired right up!

City guy said, "What's that sound?"

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Stony Jim wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:52 pm
I gotta Stihl 660. You better set it on the ground, stand on the foot plate and lean hard on the cross handle! Don't ferget the compression release, or it will straighten out yer finnigers in a hurry- or pull you over on it.
I've run into a couple of those. Big ol' Stihl concrete saw comes to mind...

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:28 pm

PHPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:17 pm
Stony Jim wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:52 pm
I've run into a couple of those. Big ol' Stihl concrete saw comes to mind...
When I was a kid, my Dad had a big McCullough like that on the farm. Had a 36" bar on it. Heavy and hard starting as hell. I got rid of it before it killed me. I have had an Echo for about 35 years. Every time I give it one or two pulls and it starts right up, I give thanks that I got rid of that McCullough a long time ago.