Idle Curiosity - Grocery Bill?

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Idle Curiosity - Grocery Bill?

Post by PHPaul » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Being of German heritage and more than a little anal, I keep a budget spreadsheet and track various expenses. (It's also my checkbook register/balancer). It sure seemed like grocery expenses were getting out of hand, so I did a little number crunching.

At the moment, we're spending about $800/month on groceries and related items (paper goods, toiletries) to feed 3 people and keep the pantry stocked.

Year-to-date monthly average is $807.76. Same period last year was $631.63 or an increase of nearly 28%.

How's your bill looking?

Jim in RP

Re: Idle Curiosity - Grocery Bill?

Post by Jim in RP » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Your numbers look very much like mine. I think the biggest problem with mine, is that the wife is the one that loads up the shopping cart with a bunch of shit that is NOT needed or on the shopping list. We can get to the store with a list of $50 or less and check out leaving $135 on the visa cc. That is weekly. :mrgreen: :roll: :x
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"

moll

Post by moll » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Thought about dine and dash but im too slow now, it would be dine and slide more like.
Passing out from hunger is my new defense against high food prices. Thattl show em.
Seriously though, its no wonder why rest homes are expensive, Donna works at the kitchen
locally and its costly for everyone.

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am

Mrs Bkeepr has "accountant tendencies" and has kept detailed spreadsheets on us for years.

I asked her, and it turns out our grocery spending (2 adult humans, 2+ large dogs, now down-to-3 geriatric cats) is very comparable to yours, Paul. We have seen some cost increases over the last year, but not nearly the 27% level you cite.

Interestingly, our pet food bill is the biggest chunk of our grocery spending...

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Bkeepr wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am

Interestingly, our pet food bill is the biggest chunk of our grocery spending...
Everything is too high, but like you our pet food costs almost as much as the groceries for two people!!
We have two min. Dachshunds and a year old Chihuahua. and Molly (Bless her Heart) would give them
"treats" (@ $25.00 a bag) every hour on the hour!! and then swear that they haven' t had but two!
(she has some dementia and forgets a lot) Soooo I just go back to the grocery store and buy more treats to feed three Wayyyyyy overweight dogs!!! :roll:
I've found out that is better than starting an argument that you CANNOT WIN!!!

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 pm

@Bkeepr - "accountant tendencies"...I like that. I'ma steal it. :lol:

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 pm

I have no German in me, I don't generate spreadsheets to track every penny, but I still pay attention to spending.
Like you, we are feeding three adult mouths here, but we are a bit lower on expenditures.
More like the $650-700 range.

I suspect the difference may be a slightly lower cost of living here. There are at least 5 grocery stores locally (3 of them are chains) and the competition is fierce.