Stick welder

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Stick welder

Post by PHPaul »

Sounds good! I hope you've got a BIG generator. Welders draw a lot of power, especially when striking the arc.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

PHPaul wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:56 pm Sounds good! I hope you've got a BIG generator. Welders draw a lot of power, especially when striking the arc.
We’ll see— it surges to 9400 Watts, and sustains 7500. The 240 circuit is only 30 amps, though, so I am a little concerned. The guy I bought it from ran it on a 60 amp circuit.

Fingers crossed!
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

The Marquette is a great, old name in welding. If you can get it fired up, you will not be disappointed.

I have a small Miller, but have had it since i 1977. We had bought a new Miller in about 1972, but our shop burned in 1976, so we had to start over with everything. We at one time had a Lincoln "tombstone" welder, and it was OK as well.

Good luck, and have fun !!

Gene
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Update on the Marquette welder:
While changing the plug on the power cord, I have discovered that someone in the past mis-wired the cord. Almost made a serious error with the new plug for the generator as a result. So now I am at it with my multimeter and a copy of the 1936 operators manual to make sure I get it right before I power it up.

I am doubting that I will be able to run it at full power on a 30 amp circuit, but pretty sure I can get to 175 amps output or so, enough for my needs. Turns out this model (#300) was intended for professional use, and isn’t the normal farm version, which were models 100-200. I wasn’t expecting the weight—not sure how much it weighs for sure, but I think it is on the order of 200 lbs.

Anyway, so far it’s an interesting project and hopefully soon I’ll have a solid welder.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Can you run a heavy wire to it in a building/shop somewhere. Not sure what Amperage my welder plug is. Most likely 100 Amp. I will look here in a minute, headed to the shop.

Gene
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Well, it is up and running and I've run a half dozen beads or so with it. When I ran several sticks back-to-back at 150 amps the generator breaker popped, so I guess I exceed the duty cycle. Ooops. :lol:

But, it works at several different output levels and if I don't get greedy and run it too long I am still confident I can use 180 Amps or so without blowing anything. Now I just have to get used to starting and running a bead, which apparently harder than it is with my wire-feed because I'm having a heck of a striking an arc (is that why they call them "sticks"???) and running a good bead. But practice makes "good enough."

Paul-- thanks for giving me the green light to buy this thing. I am impressed with it for a lot of reasons, even if I never get to run it at full power. I bought it for one project on the tractor, but I suspect I'll be using it for a lot more once I get used to it.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Striking an arc can be aggravating. Different techniques work with different rods.

I find that "scratching" rather than tapping or poking works better for me. New, clean, dry rod helps too. Also easier at higher amperage, at least for me.
Red Dave

Post by Red Dave »

I've found that the stick seems to get a coating on the end of the rod that has to be knocked off to strike the arc. It must be non-conductive. So, my workaround is to lay a brick next to me when I'm welding. I scrape the end of the rod across the brick just before I go to strike an arc. Seems to help make that initial arc strike easier.

I'm sure that a "Real" welder would roll their eyes and snicker at the idea, but it works pretty good for me.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Red Dave wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:16 pm
I'm sure that a "Real" welder would roll their eyes and snicker at the idea, but it works pretty good for me.
Well, I'm not a "real" welder - I don't even play one on TV - but that seems like a great idea to me! I'm gonna set a brick on top of my stick welder.

Of course, by the time I need to stick weld again, I'll wonder what the hell that brick is doing there...
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

If I had a nickel for every welding rod I had stuck solid, well I would have a lot of money !!!

Gene