Stick welder

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Stick welder

Post by Bkeepr »

I currently have a small, 110 v Lincoln flux core welder that is good for small jobs around the farm. On occasion I do some welding on heavier metal— over 1/4” thick. I do ok with lots of passes with.035” wire, but would like to try stick without spending much cash.

Any thoughts about this one? Sounds ok to me, and the price is right….

https://martinsburg.craigslist.org/tls/ ... 68881.html
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Stick welder

Post by PHPaul »

No doubt better than anything you can buy today for under $1000.

Actual copper windings, no high current switches to corrode, burn out or break.

Look at the leads closely, make sure the plug ends are in decent shape and the insulation is complete and flexible. Cracks in the insulation can bite you!

Given a test weld and perhaps a peek under the cover, I'd grab it.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Ok, thanks. Sounds like it could be perfect for me. Hopefully it isn’t gone yet.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Well, no reply to my two attempts to contact the owner so I guess he sold it and doesn't want to be bothered taking down the ad or answering folks. Still lots of welders listed for sale around here, but it seems everybody wants to get rich-- I just saw my own flux core wire welder model, well-used, for listed almost for the new price.

So, my new question: if you were going to buy a new stick welder for occasional use, what would you buy? Brand? Features? Things to avoid?

I really can't justify spending a lot of money for one, but I'd probably go to $400 or 500 if there's one that would justify that and maybe have some re-sale value if I decide to get rid of it later. I guess my plan is to keep an eye out for a good used one, but if there's a solid new one that's similar to prices I'm seeing for used, then I'll consider buying new for the piece of mind.

thanks for any advice.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Let me have a look around, B. The usual names - Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, ESAB - are a good bet but I don't know if they have any DIY-grade stick-only welders available.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Hobart Stickmate

Lincoln "Tombstone"

Forney Cheapo

Welders in your price range are likely to be AC only which isn't a problem, it just limits what rods you can use successfully.

The Hobart has a solid reputation and you may be able to shop around and do a little better on the price.

The Lincoln "Tombstone" is a classic and millions of them are in use.

If your budget is REALLY tight, you might take a chance on the Forney. Forney is a common name in supplies, but I don't have a feel for their reputation in actual welders.

ESAB and Miller are premium machines with premium prices.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Paul— I can’t thank you enough. I appreciate your time and expertise. Not sure if I will get the Hobart or the Lincoln, but it’ll likely be one of those two. My wire feed is a Lincoln, and the old guy up the road who used to weld for me before he died had one of those Lincoln tombstones…so I am leaning toward that.

Anyway, thanks again!
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

You're welcome. Let us know what you wind up with!
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

I had planned to make a decision and buy one of them this weekend, but the guy selling the old Marquette finally answered that he still had it and it is still for sale. He’s not one for words. No quick answer to mine. If he gets back to me anytime soon, I will at least go look. If he doesn’t, or if it is not as described, I will get one of the new ones.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

I just picked up the old Marquette, circa late 1930s, and got it under cover. I am amazed at how much it weighs! Gotta be 150-200 lbs. Also just found the operator manual for it online….copyright 1939. I am tickled, but need to replace the power plug before I can use it on my generator.