I DID IT

Stories, News and General Yakking
Jim_in_RP

I DID IT

Post by Jim_in_RP »

I sent the entire BAMBOO BOGEYMAN manuscript to Dorrance Publishing in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
More than three years, 354 Pages, 69,410 words. It all started with you guys encouraging me to post more stories here. There was also Paul's generosity with his time, doing the proofreading.
This morning I got an email back, saying that they received it and they would be contacting me within a week. I also asked them if they could refer me to a developmental editor in the Seattle area. :? ;) This being my first, one and only attempt at writing a book. I know that it will definitely need the help of a developmental editor.

Wish me luck.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: I DID IT

Post by PHPaul »

GREAT! Keep us posted on the progress.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Great that you knocked it out, that’s quite an accomplishment, Jim. Congratulations!
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Bkeepr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:28 am ...that’s quite an accomplishment, Jim. Congratulations!
Thanks to you guys here on this board for the inspiration. Please don't forget all the work that Paul did on the bamboo bogeyman. He proofread every story and had a lot to do with all the corrections needed from this dictation program. Thanks to Paul for not only his spelling and punctuation corrections but also for the input for some sentencing reconstruction. :P

The dictation program still doesn't know the difference between "AN" and "AND".
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Is there also a way to publish it so that it is available on "Kindle"?

I read a lot of free books by having a subscription to "Kindle unlimited". Not sure how it works, but the authors still get paid for their books.

Good luck. I will buy a copy no matter how it is published.

Gene
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

GeneMO wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:37 pm Is there also a way to publish it so that it is available on "Kindle"?
Yes there is. I need to get it to a published manuscript first. Figuring out where to sell it is far in the future. If I get it published before I expire, I'll send you a copy. :)
Just this morning I got an email back from those people in Pennsylvania stating they were interested and wanted to know more. So it sounds like some negotiations might start as far as using them as my publisher, but I'm not so sure right now. They seem to be real, reluctant to divulging how much it is gonna cost me to do that? :roll: ;)
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Jim_in_RP wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:10 am…They seem to be real, reluctant to divulging how much it is gonna cost me to do that? :roll: ;)
Don’t sign away your rights before you have an understanding and commitment from them. Not exactly the same thing, but when I was a government PM, I saw government researchers sign away government rights to new technology without understanding what they had, and so cost the government millions in lost intellectual property income. These businesses are very savvy about how to maximize their own income. They are not necessarily crooks, but they also aren’t looking out for you, either. Just be careful…