Just like finding Gold.

Stories, News and General Yakking
GeneMO

Just like finding Gold.

Post by GeneMO »

In setting up my new reloading room, I had some items missing. I put this all away close to 10 years ago, and things have a way of hiding or disappearing. Anyway, looking for my .35 Remington brass. Finally found it. Not only did I find once fired brass, but I guess that back in 2008 I had gotten ambitious. I had resized, trimmed, chamfered, AND PRIMED, several hundred cases. Ready to put in the powder and bullets. Just like finding several sleeves of "hens teeth" primers. The primer situation is some better, but prices are crazy. I was use to paying about $12-$14 a thousand for primers "back in the old days". Not to be anymore. Around $90- $100 now.

So they were sealed in ziplock bags, in a nice dry place, so they should be good.

Happy Days !!!

Gene
Bkeepr

Re: Just like finding Gold.

Post by Bkeepr »

Great news. Now you need to finish those primed cases and go shoot a bit!! Nothing quite like burning powder on a pretty day to improve morale.

Aside from prices, I am astounded by all of the new specialty powders that have come out in the last few years. General purpose powder that works well in lots of different calibers and types are pretty much a thing of the past.
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Bkeepr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:35 am Nothing quite like burning powder on a pretty day to improve morale.
Nothing like the smell of Cordite to calm one's nerves. :) ;)
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Bkeepr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:35 am Great news. Now you need to finish those primed cases and go shoot a bit!! Nothing quite like burning powder on a pretty day to improve morale.

Aside from prices, I am astounded by all of the new specialty powders that have come out in the last few years. General purpose powder that works well in lots of different calibers and types are pretty much a thing of the past.
Yeah, I have lost out on the powder situation.. I dont know one from the other. I need to go buy an up to date manual, and start researching what is good for the caliber of guns I shoot.

But I honestly have enough powder to about last my lifetime. I did a good job of hoarding back in the dark days of the Klintons and Obama.
I bought a 4 pound container of Unique, that I use in .357, and I know I will never shoot that much up, plus I have several 1 pound bottles of it as well.
Reloader 15 is what I use in .223, and I have about 6 pounds of that. and then I use IMR 4350 in my .270, and I probably have 4-5 pounds of that.

Then a good supply of IMR 4064. Only thing I am somewhat low on is IMR SR 4795. And they quit making that about 10 years ago. I only use that in my Savage ML 10 Muzzleloader. One of the few Muzzleloader that was designed to shoot smokeless powder. I have 1 1/2 cans of it. That will get me by, but may have to look into replacing that load with a more modern powder.

Gotta go, Gene