Another gun question

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Another gun question

Post by Bkeepr » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 pm

How long does the government and/or a dealer keep records of gun sales?

I’m asking in part because gun confiscation in my lifetime doesn’t seem so farfetched anymore. I’m curious how easy it will be for those of us who bought our guns thru dealers in the last few years.

tacon1

Re: Another gun question

Post by tacon1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Bkeepr wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 pm

I’m asking in part because gun confiscation in my lifetime doesn’t seem so farfetched anymore. I’m curious how easy it will be for those of us who bought our guns thru dealers in the last few years.
Hope this will answer your question.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws ... gun-sales/

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:35 pm

tacon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm
Bkeepr wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Hope this will answer your question.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws ... gun-sales/
Or, you could be in Pennsylvania, where the PA State Police (PSP) run their own state-wide background check system in addition to the Federal system. The law says the state cops can't keep the records of who buys a gun for more than a period of time ( I forget how long, but it's like a month or so, if memory serves) There have been several successful lawsuits against the state police to force them to destroy the old records, but the PSP has flat out refused to comply. The courts rule against them and they ignore it.

Okierob

Post by Okierob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:58 am

I know when My Dad was a FFL he kept them till he went out of business then they were sent to ATF. I'm sure they never destroy them but are supposed to .

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:20 am

OK. So bottom line seems to be that, although the background check records are/may be destroyed relatively soon, the dealer sales records are maintained somewhere, forever.

So if the Feds pass a law mandating turn-in of some kinds of weapons, as seems likely sometime in the coming years, there'll be no doubt they know who owns (or owned) them...

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Bkeepr wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:20 am
OK. So bottom line seems to be that, although the background check records are/may be destroyed relatively soon, the dealer sales records are maintained somewhere, forever.

So if the Feds pass a law mandating turn-in of some kinds of weapons, as seems likely sometime in the coming years, there'll be no doubt they know who owns (or owned) them...
Yeah, all it would take is a call from a disgruntled family member or neighbor, and SWAT would be in there and would DESTROY your home and property looking for weapons!!! and I GUA RN TEE they are NOT going to repair the damage they caused! EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING TO WARRANT AN "ILLEGAL" SEARCH AND SEIZURE!!! And I say 'Illegal' because there's a phrase in the law called "probable cause" meaning the law enforcement HAS to have a distinct reason to go unto your property!! NOT an un verified phone call from a neighbor!!!! (So much for"Innocent until PROVEN guilty!!) It makes me mad and sad at the same time to see the turn this country is turning to. and the coming election is showing just how much Democrats hate it.(Not going to get political, all you have to do is watch the news) and there are FOUR "first" term congress-ladies who are Muslum and VERY outspoken and the leaders, (Pelosi, Schummer, and the rest) are Scared to death of them!! WHY ???Get RId of them!!!!!
But the "People" had to vote them in, and I'm afraid that's what this country will eventually turn to.
If the Democrats happen (God Forbid) to take control of our Government in 2020, by 2030 we won't have a Country left! and all the men and women who fought and died to make this a free country will have gave their lives in vain.
Sorry for the long post but I just had a little built up "Rant" I had to get off my chest. and this post probably won't be here long! :mrgreen:

bwillett

Post by bwillett » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:19 am

GeneSC,
I think you will find that most of the posters here would agree with your post/rant. I know I do. 8-)

Have a great day.

Only 53 more days til every day is Saturday. :P
Bill Willett
West Central Ohio
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?