Canning homemade sauerkraut today

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Canning homemade sauerkraut today

Post by Bkeepr » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:57 pm

Finally getting around to canning this year's batch of kraut. Not the best we've ever made, but still quite a bit better than store-bought. We've made between 15 and 25 quarts a year for about 20 years now. My mom, 92 years old and born and raised in Germany, still says what the Mrs and I make are as good as what she remembers being made when she was a kid. Lately, she been eating about 2 quarts a month of it so we may have to buy some cabbage and make a couple of batches this year...or go without ourselves! :D

Anybody else make sauerkraut at home?

PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Canning homemade sauerkraut today

Post by PHPaul » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Nope, I can barely get SWMBO to cook it for me. Kielbasa and Kraut...Mmmmmm-MMMM!

Okierob

Post by Okierob » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 pm

I like kraut but the wife doesn't care for it. I may make some this year anyway. I usually grow plenty of cabbage. Last batch I did was a little too salty. The weather gets pretty warm here so I need to find a way to do it in the jar instead of a crock.

Jim in RP

Post by Jim in RP » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:55 am

I love kraut but I never tried making it. Mother use to make it but she was born and raised on a 120 acre MI. truck farm.
I also love Kim Che and made quite a bit while we still lived in AK where the cabbage get really BIG. We have been buying the Kim Che here but it seems to disappear before I get a bite. :cry: :?
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"