Hey Bernie

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Hey Bernie

Post by PHPaul » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Check your email.

Happy to help with your project, but my hearing is getting steadily worse and I miss a lot of what is said over the phone.

swampy

Re: Hey Bernie

Post by swampy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:03 pm

"my hearing is getting steadily worse and I miss a lot of what is said over the phone." Whut!! :lol:

Got hearing aids in both ears and i still miss a lot of what's said over the phone.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:05 pm

It's bad enough with loud-mouths, but if the person on the other end is soft spoken I'm screwed. If I yell at everyone in the house to shut the hell up and plug my other ear, I can make out about half of what is said.

swampy

Post by swampy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:12 pm

BTDT didn't work out to good, hard to stop yakkers from yakking.

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 pm

swampy wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:03 pm
"my hearing is getting steadily worse and I miss a lot of what is said over the phone." Whut!! :lol:

Got hearing aids in both ears and i still miss a lot of what's said over the phone.
Yeah! I got hearing aids in both ears, and although they help a LOT, I still have problems understanding
when people talk? ESPECIALLY women on tv with high shrill voice! can't understand a word they say!
The Dr. told me that they were "hearing AIDS" and not meant to ""restore hearing. All in all I like mine because I
can't understand anything anyone says without them. (except sometimes I 'sorta ignore some things my wife says ) :twisted:

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:06 am

GeneSC wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 pm
swampy wrote:

Yeah! I got hearing aids in both ears, and although they help a LOT, I still have problems understanding
when people talk? ESPECIALLY women on tv with high shrill voice! can't understand a word they say!
The Dr. told me that they were "hearing AIDS" and not meant to ""restore hearing. All in all I like mine because I
can't understand anything anyone says without them. (except sometimes I 'sorta ignore some things my wife says ) :twisted:
I don't wear hearing aids, and still have pretty good hearing for my age. I still have trouble with people who talk fast (like young women) or have some accents. I hate to call customer service because I know I'm going to get some young woman with a high pitched voice, a thick accent and talks like she is paid by the word. I am seldom proved wrong.

Oriental and Indian accents are the worst. I have to keep asking them to repeat what they said. I have asked for someone else who speaks more clearly. I had one tell me that "I spreak goot engleese" I said "no, you don't". I hate to have to ask for somebody else, I do understand that it could be taken as an insult, but I need to understand what they saying, and the options are limited from my end. Part of the problem is that the telephone systems use speech compression, so the audio fidelity is not real good to begin with, but why do they have to talk so fast?

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:43 am

My hearing is about the only thing that still works

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:25 am

Red Dave wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:06 am
...but I need to understand what they saying, and the options are limited from my end. Part of the problem is that the telephone systems use speech compression, so the audio fidelity is not real good to begin with, but why do they have to talk so fast?
You're right speech compression and audio fidelity are both parts of the problem, but there are others. I have the same issues that you do, and I have excellent hearing aids and a great audiologist who has taught me a lot.

Another part of the problem is that there are two kinds of hearing loss--the one that is in the ear itself, where somebody cannot hear sounds. The other is in the brain processing center that takes sounds and converts them into recognizeable speech. I have a bit of both problems, and the result contributes to my (our) inability to understand speech as well as we used to. Some of it is accent, low-talking, fast speech, and some of it is, in fact, me.

Interestingly, the audiologist told me (and I confirmed thru my own reading) that folks who put off getting hearing aids to correct the first problem often have a worsening of the second problem--basically the brain processing center atrophies and loses its ability to process sounds because there's less input to work with. The longer somebody puts off getting hearing aids once they need them, the less effective the aids will be when they do get them. This is one factor in the case of folks who get hearing aids and don't like them. (Another is getting aids that aren't tuned or tun-able to their particular issue.)

But my audiologist's last bit of advice to me was also very good-- some people *are* just low talkers, or or don't enunciate their words, or whatever...so, she says, if you see that you're not the only one in a situation who is having trouble hearing, it is probably *not* you, it is the speaker.

GeneSC

Post by GeneSC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:29 pm

Red Dave wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:06 am
GeneSC wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 pm
swampy wrote:

but why do they have to talk so fast?
Red Dave, I don't know where you're from but its NOT a Southern thing, (well I've noticed that is changing fast.) folk from the south usually talk at a slower pace than the northern folk (Don't jump on me, I'm NOT a bit prejudice!!) but, they tend to talk faster than us southerners.and I can't understand what they're saying. Don't worry about asking for another operator when calling customer service because you can't understand them , I've done it quit a lot and they mostly understand. I usually ask if they have someone from S.C, N.C., Ga., Tenn., or even Alabama!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Red Dave

Post by Red Dave » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:00 pm

I've had hearing tests and according to those results I hear better than most men in their 60's. My hearing tests have been charted as a part of a hearing conservation program over the past 30+ years and has degraded very little. I'm the guy that the old timers made fun of back in the '70's because I wore the available hearing protection, both plugs and earmuffs.

The problem is people who can't, or won't, clearly enunciate the English language.