Home Hospice

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Home Hospice

Post by Bkeepr »

My Mom had been hospitalized a few times in her life and never did well there. So she wanted to die at home, in her own bed. Back in June, after a long and mostly-healthy life, everything suddenly started failing. She emphasized her desire, so we placed her under a local home hospice. This particular arrangement provides expert care, but mostly in the form of support to family...they don't provide anybody 24-7, although they do have on-call folks 24-7, and medications and equipment and supplies. In our case, for the first couple of weeks, we had an RN come once a week; an aide twice a week; and another "social worker" (more of a coordinator/Program Manager in my opinion) once a week, plus others available as needed. My wife and I provided the 24-7 care. What turned out to be the last week, the RN and aide were to visit daily.

My Mom was a Mom to the end, always looking out for my wife and I ("do you guys ever sleep? Go get some rest, I'll be here," or "are you two eating enough," or a reassuring "I'm not hurting" a few times near the end when she really sounded bad).

The bottom line is that Mom died with dignity, exactly as she wished, and the Home Hospice helped to make that happen. We'd never have been able to do it ourselves anywhere near as well without the expert help. I do miss Mom a lot, but her passing was not a sad day for any of us. I think we could all wish for the same kind of end to a good life.

I'm not looking for sympathy, just wanted to put in a word for hospice-- something I hadn't really thought much about before.

Y'all take care.
Red Dave

Re: Home Hospice

Post by Red Dave »

Tom, my deepest condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Mother. It sounds like she was well cared for by you and your wife. Mothers are special people and her influence will be with you the rest of your life.

I'll second the support for Hospice care. I know it made a difference with both my own Mother and my Mother-In-Law when they both passed on almost 8 years ago.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Darned! Sure sorry to hear that. I am not afraid to die. I just really dont want to burden anyone. We went through putting Tammy's folks in a nursing home about 6 weeks ago. Not been fun, but her brother took the bull by the horns and did the majority of the heavy lifting. He is a good guy. Her dad lied about his age to get into the Army and served in the occupation of Japan. He started out in Armored, then ended up Airborne. He was in the 11th Airborne. Tough ole fart if there ever was one. He had served two years in the Merchant Marines before getting into the Army. Todays "kids" dont have a frickin' clue about hardships.

Glad your mom is at peace. Even at our age you feel kinda like a little lost kid when your parents pass. Thinking of you!

Gene
Dieselrider

Post by Dieselrider »

So Sorry for your loss, Tom. That is always a rough ride.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.
Patria

Post by Patria »

Tom, I had been thinking often of you guys... Hugs
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Thanks for the kind words. It is a bit surprising how even an old fart misses his Mom. But I was lucky in so many ways--had great parents, and got to enjoy them for a good part of my life. Lots of folks are not so lucky.