Winchester Model 12

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Winchester Model 12

Post by Bkeepr »

My bird gun is a Model 12 pump in 16 gauge made in 1948 that I picked up used about 15 years ago—only shotgun I can hit much of anything with. Since then, it has shot over a thousand live birds, countless clays, and many more clean misses (I am still a hopeless shotgun shot!). When it isn’t in the field, it is normally leaning against a wall in the mudroom where it collects dog drool and moisture and dirt daily.

I’m also bad/lazy about taking care of it, so there’s always rust on it somewhere. So I finally took it to my favorite gunsmith/gun store to see about refinishing it. I wanted re-bluing, but was also considering dark blue cerakote to better protect it, given my faults and its life; my kids are not interested in bird hunting, so I’m only considering my own lifestyle with it, so cerakote seems a reasonable option.

Well, the staff at the gun store thought I was on the wrong track. They said the gun is in really good original shape, and I would be stupid to cerakote it, but did give me an estimate to do so. What we settled on is a disassembly, thorough cleaning, and a partial re-blue of just the receiver and trigger guard—where I carry it and handle it most. Gunsmith said he could do it to match and blend in with the rest of the gun which would protect it without making it look bad. Price was reasonable, projected time to completion is between 2 and 6 months…he’s swamped with hunting gun repairs now. So that’s what I am doing, gonna use one of my other guns that goes bang, but will do nothing to harm the pheasant/quail population this year.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: Winchester Model 12

Post by PHPaul »

Sounds like a good plan.

My first gun was a Model 12 in 20 gauge. Actually my Dad's but it was "mine" while I lived at home.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Only gun I ever had reblued professionally was a Ruger Blackhawk, .357. Years of carrying it around had worn it pretty good. The steel part was a 100% success. Still looks good after 20 years of additional use. However the aluminum trigger guard and housing had more of a "paint" type coating put on. It is chipping and wearing off and looks pretty grim.. Not sure what my recourse is. But its just a farm gun, guess It will outlast me.

Gene
Red Dave

Post by Red Dave »

Some years back I bought a Winchester 1200 12 gauge that has been modified for card, or block shooting. It came with an extra slug barrel that somebody had stripped of all coatings. It was bare metal and already starting to rust.

I went to a local gun shop looking for a cheap, easy home bluing kit of some sort. I've never done bluing, but I'd heard about all the steps needed and wanted something easier. I talked to one of the guys at the shop, told him what I had what I wanted to accomplish. He suggested just painting it flat black with high temperature paint. He thought that regular paint might bubble from the heat if anybody ever shot it much, and the paint would give it the rust resistance I was looking for, and it would be inexpensive (cheap).

I picked up a spray can of high temp flat black, gave that barrel a coat and it turned out great. It looks better than I expected, almost as good as a bluing job. I know it won't hold up to rough handling like bluing would, but I don't use it anyway.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

I guess the gunsmith really did like my gun because he finished it in 2 weeks instead of his promised 2-6 MONTHS.

So I picked it up yesterday, and really like what he did with it. He basically lightly blued where all of my hand-wear and rust was so it fades into the original blue that was still there. It should protect better than the bare metal, but doesn't look funny. I'm glad I didn't cerakote it. I'm never going to sell it, but someday one of my heirs might so I'm glad I didn't ruin any re-sale value too badly.

Painting is an interesting thought. I might do that on my farm rifle, which is a NEF heavy barrel single shot .223 that I use for longer range varmints. Cerakote would be appropriate but would cost about 3 or 4 times what I paid for the gun, which just doesn't make sense. But high temperature paint might be a good option. I guess cleaning and oiling it more often is also an option, but I've gotten really really lazy as I age.