Any experience with audiobooks for handicapped?

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Any experience with audiobooks for handicapped?

Post by Bkeepr »

A good family friend just had a stroke, and for now is bed ridden, and has limited fine muscle control and very poor/double vision. She’s also not as quick as she was, and is prone to get frustrated easily.

So I’m looking for a simple, easy to operate player for audio books. It doesn’t appear touchscreen will work for her now, she needs big physical buttons or knobs to accommodate her lack of fine motor skills. Her husband can download books for her, but she needs to be able to turn the thing on and off, and push a start button, and also have it start where she left off last time, rather than starting from the beginning each time.

There are a few such things around, but none is perfect and the better ones are pretty expensive. We’d rather get it right the first time than buy several, if we can avoid it. We’re looking into a program from the library of Congress, but it’s possible she may not qualify, so alternatives are good.

Any ideas or advice?
Thanks!!
Patria

Re: Any experience with audiobooks for handicapped?

Post by Patria »

Bkeepr, I have no idea but I remember Salmoneye talking about listening to audio books and I think he was getting one for his mom as she was having problems with her eyesight.
It would be cool if he dropped by.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Patria, thanks. Salmoneye is another friend who I wish would return—with or without information about audio books.
He was a great guy, and always brought good points of view to discussions.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

I know a buddy mine listened to audio books while they traveled. I just asked him. You need a library card to your local library. Then you download an app on your phone. He thought it was called 'Libby". He was driving when I talked to him, so wasn't 100% sure on the apps name. Then somehow you can go to the app, use the library card to sign in, then you have access to (most anything in the state library system) he thought.

An it is free. But afraid this may be too technical for what your friend is needing.

Good luck, Gene
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Thanks, Gene. I’m sorry to report the friend I was asking for passed away earlier this week. It’s amazing how quickly life changes completely, she was just 65.