Little modeling project

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Little modeling project

Post by PHPaul »

My farm diorama is "finished" as far as major scenes go, mostly because I'm out of room.

To satisfy my modeling jones, I add little details here and there as they occur to me. One thing you can always use more of is trees.
smokearea.jpg
smokearea.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Many are commercially available complete trees (or kits) that you can just plant in the landscape. Most of these are less than realistic but okay in a background or planted densely.
wreck6.jpg
wreck6.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Some I've made from scratch using various things for the trunk and branches and foam or cut paper leaves for the foliage. Much more realistic, but also very time-consuming to make. One-offs are fine, a forest's worth is more work than it's worth.
swing.jpg
swing.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
I have one tree in the foreground by the house that I've never really been happy with. Too spindly. Being more than a tad bored this Winter, I decided to replace it and also try a couple of new techniques in the process.
tree1.jpg
tree1.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
tree2.jpg
tree2.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Wire armature trunks and main branches are pretty common and I've used them before. The difference here is that I used MUCH larger wire (welding lead) and soldered the main trunk and then separated out limbs, branches and twigs, soldering smaller and smaller divisions as I went.
tree3.jpg
tree3.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Another difference is that I coated the trunk, major limbs and as many of the branches as I could in air-drying modeler's clay to disguise the wire and have a more bark-like finish.
tree4.jpg
tree4.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
After a coat of gray and an overspray of flat black (trees are not brown if you ever noticed) and then teased out some poly fiber to drape over the branches and twigs. It's held in place by a combination of wet paint and hairspray.
tree5.jpg
tree5.jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Finally, another generous coating of hairspray (great spray adhesive, and cheap!) I sifted some dark green "leaves" over the fiber, sprayed again and highlighted with some light green leaves. In retrospect, I think the light green is a little too much, I'll add some brown (actual leaves chopped up in a blender) to tone it down.
Bkeepr

Re: Little modeling project

Post by Bkeepr »

Gorgeous results, and an interesting post…thank you for sharing it. Sent the link to my 40-something son, who put up a nice Lionel setup the last few years and is interested in the scenery. Said your tree was awesome.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

tree6.jpg
tree6.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Thanks. Here's a shot of it "planted" on the diorama.
Jim @ Jawa

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

Is that you going in the front door?
;)
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Jim @ Jawa wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:49 pm Is that you going in the front door?
;)
me.jpg
me.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Nope, but it could pretty easily be my Dad! :lol: :lol:
Patria

Post by Patria »

Paul, every time you post a new entry of your amazing modeling project I tell myself "this time I am, really!, going to get me one of those airplanes or cars kits" that I like so much.lol

Hairspray huh - clever!
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

birch6.jpg
birch6.jpg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Went on another tree building binge today...
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

The tree projects got me all fired up to work on the diorama after a long layoff. Part of the problem was that I was out of room and in the current configuration of the hobby space, there wasn't anywhere to expand.

oldhr1.jpg
oldhr1.jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Before

newhr3.jpg
newhr3.jpg (29.93 KiB) Viewed 758 times

After considering various (expensive and involved) approaches, I decided to clean up, remove unused benches, move shelves and furniture and gain more space in the existing room.

newtable2.jpg
newtable2.jpg (34.81 KiB) Viewed 758 times

The diorama was added onto over the years with whatever I had laying around and was pretty rickety, not to mention ugly, so I built a new table to consolidate the various sections.
add4.jpg
add4.jpg (19.91 KiB) Viewed 758 times

That also gave me more real estate to work with so now I'm adding features. The first is a pond with a beaver dam at the outlet and a guy fishing from a canoe. I've got a good start on the basic shape of the terrain and have a raft of trees on order to populate the area.

Haven't decided what I'll do with the flatter portions yet. Part of the fun is thinking about and creating a vision.
Jim @ Jawa

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

My hands are so shaky, all I can do is dream about the things you do. I really enjoy seeing the model work that you do and reading about how you it. :) ;)
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

add5.jpg
add5.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 721 times
add6.jpg
add6.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 721 times
The hill portion of the addition is about 90% done. I have one more tree kit on order, and I'm waiting on some resin tint to add water to the pond.

Still contemplating what to do with the rest of the new real estate.