7.7 Jap rifle

Stories, News and General Yakking
GeneMO

7.7 Jap rifle

Post by GeneMO »

So I stumbled on a Face book page devoted to this rifle. Just doing a little reading, and I had always assumed they were kinda junk. I bought one in the late 70's from Larry Potterfield in his original store, Ely Arms, in Columbia Mo. That was before he started Midway arms. $80 and that included a new box of Norma ammo, which I still have about half the box.

So the guys on this FB page seem to think most of the rifles are very safe, and quality made guns. Except maybe those made right at the end of the war. That surprised me. May go get mine out of the safe and look it over better.

Somewhere along the line I acquired a bayonet for the thing. Sure makes it look mean.

I wonder if there are any caves in Jim's area of the Philippines that might have cases of rifles, still encased in cosmoline? Wishful thinking I guess.

Take care, Gene
Red Dave

Re: 7.7 Jap rifle

Post by Red Dave »

My late, Ex Brother-in-Law had a Japanese rifle that his father brought home from the Pacific. I saw it back in the 70's, but there wasn't much original left on it. It had been re-barreled to .308 and a Sporterized stock put on it. But it did still have the Chrysanthemum stamp on the action and Japanese characters stamped on it in places.

I shot it a few times,and it was a nice shooting gun. He and my sister split up in the 80's and he passed away about 20 years ago. No idea where the rifle might have ended up.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

When families break up, guns, and old coins and jewelry seem to disappear.

Gene
Okierob

Post by Okierob »

My dad had one with the anti aircraft sight. He sold it several years ago.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Okierob wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 pm My dad had one with the anti aircraft sight. He sold it several years ago.
Mine has the flip up sight for elevation, but the little flip down sights to lead an aircraft are gone.
another thing to look for is the Chrysanthemum mark of the Emperor. If that has not been ground off, it generally indicates that it was picked up off the battlefield. I guess the deal was, that meant it was property of the Emperor. If it was exported by their government, the ground that symbol off.

Gene