2 weeks

Stories, News and General Yakking
bwillett

2 weeks

Post by bwillett » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 am

14 days, 11 work days, and then I will be retired.....I am getting more and more ready to leave. It seems that my boss is trying to find all the sh!t jobs and giving them to me to do. And treating me like he does not care that I am leaving.
Bill Willett
West Central Ohio
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?

Bkeepr

Re: 2 weeks

Post by Bkeepr » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:15 am

Congrats! Sorry about those last-minute jobs, next time he gives you one you should remind him: "Boss, you can make it harder, but you can't make it any longer!" :lol:

I gave my "notice" this week. On January 5th I'll stop the daily grind myself. They've asked me to continue teaching a week-long course 6 times a year, which will be just about perfect for me, I think--some pocket money, and an opportunity to do something I still love to do.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:39 am

@bwillett - Boss sounds like a dink. I gave notice twice. Once when I was a Novell Network Administrator at a newspaper. At the end of the first year, I talked to the Publisher/Owner about a salary increase based on my performance over the year. His offer was a bald-faced insult and was just the straw I needed as I wasn't happy in the job anyway (too many liberals in the newspaper business...) I didn't even counter-offer. I just said "Consider this my two-weeks notice." and walked out of his office. Wouldn't have given them the two weeks but that was my anniversary and made me eligible for my week's worth of vacation pay.

Second time was from the sardine cannery. I'd been sniffing after another job for months because I knew the cannery was going down the tubes. I was high enough up the food chain to see the financials and the numbers don't lie. When I got a firm offer from Lockheed-Martin to be a contract Armorer/Small Arms Instructor, I gave the cannery my two weeks. I got done the first of December. The following April they closed the doors. No notice, nothing, bunch of folks showed up for work one day and the lights were off and the doors locked. Assholes.

@Bkeepr - What will you be teaching? I was an electronics instructor for 5 years in the Navy, a Maine State Fire Service Instructor for several years and taught a handful of Adult Ed classes. I enjoy teaching, as long as it's adults that WANT to be there. Kids? Uh...NOPE!

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:48 am

F14,

I've seen more closings similar to your sardine factory experience lately. Just unforgivable in my book...

As far as my teaching goes, for the last 15 years I've taught a 1-week course to mid- and senior-level DOD medical folks about research, development, and acquisition of medical products (that includes drugs, vaccines, and medical devices). I love doing it, each course is a small mixed group of MDs, PHDs, and uniformed folks from all services who do work related to it. I get everyone from world-class scientists from labs, down to Army medics just back from a deployment where bad guys are shooting at them. It is an amazing experience for me, and I'm honored they want me to keep doing it.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:22 am

Wow! We got us a gen-u-wine edumakated perfesshional among us!

That's great, it's always nice to keep your hand in.

Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:17 am

PHPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:22 am
Wow! We got us a gen-u-wine edumakated perfesshional among us!...
hah hah, not hardly...I'm just comic relief for the actual smart people in the room. :D

bwillett

Post by bwillett » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:46 am

I guess I was just venting about the sh!t jobs. I have had to do them before, I just did not think my boss would make me do them now. But then again, he has to keep me busy doing something, because his bosses are phasing my job out. Half of the reason is my retirement, and the other half is they just want to do my job with a semi-truck instead of a straight truck. However, I think they are finding out that a straight truck is much more flexible than a semi (read: economical).... I will leave it at that.
Bill Willett
West Central Ohio
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?