Hpi Hip Hooray

Stories, News and General Yakking
daninbama

Hpi Hip Hooray

Post by daninbama » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Just wanted to put that out there. No special reason. Thought it would stir some jovial topics or what the heck moments. Aint nothing special going on here other than did not get nary a trick or treater other than myself. Ate the goodies ourselves what little there was. Now looking forward to Thanksgiving. Bought a frozen turkey today at Walmart. 78 cents a pound which is not to bad. Waiting on ham prices to come down. Like my ham with the bone. Shank is what they call it. I think. Yall have a good existence. Dan

Bkeepr

Re: Hpi Hip Hooray

Post by Bkeepr » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 am

Howdy Dan!

Afraid I don't have any snappy comeback or even a jovial topic, but I *am* glad you posted.

Mrs Bkeepr bought our turkey this week, too. Bought it at our local/regional grocery chain, Weiss Market...and said she got a good deal. She's an expert at picking turkeys, she picked up a cheap 140 pounder over 40 years ago and has been tenderizing him ever since! :lol:

I'm getting little chores done, but also doing a lot of sitting around sipping coffee with the Mrs. Oh, and throwing the ball for the dogs. Tomorrow I'll be toting my 16 ga, following dogs who are looking for birds. The new puppy is turning out to have a very good nose, just needs more experience and a little more retrieve training to become a decent bird dog.

cheers, everyone. I hope y'all are having as great a weekend as I am. :D

GeneMO

Post by GeneMO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 pm

I need to think about turkey. I have been brining them, smoking it for about two hours, then finishing it up in the oven. I might try the "spatchcock" method this year, where you split it open in the back, but the backbone out, the flay it out that way. Have to make sure it will fit in smoker if I do that.

Take care, Gene

daninbama

Post by daninbama » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:01 pm

OK BeeKEEPER. So your wife picked up a 140 pound Turkey over 40 years ago for this Thankgiving. Hopefully it is still good. Maybe needs to be brined a little longer than recommended. :D :D