Gosh, I love plumbing...

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

Gosh, I love plumbing...

Post by PHPaul » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:50 pm

Been getting some Odeur d' Septique in the downstairs bathroom lately. Couldn't really nail it down to something obvious like a leaking wax ring or a dry trap on the sink or shower.

Did find some iffy connections between the P trap on the sink and the main drain. Replaced everything from the drain tail on the sink to the wall connection AND the wax ring on the stool just to be sure.

Smells better in there, but need to wait a couple of days before signing it off as fixed.

Septic tank/drain field hasn't been touched since it was installed in 1973 so it's probably about due to turn to shit on me. If this problem is fixed I'll wait until Spring and then pay for a camera inspection to see what we need to prepare for. Everything is draining/flushing just fine and no floating turds in the back yard so (I hope...) it isn't in need of immediate work.

Bernie/MA

Re: Gosh, I love plumbing...

Post by Bernie/MA » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:58 pm

Sounds like it might be time. I had one give trouble once, drain field. Got the tank pumped and it cleared itself.

Bernie/MA

Post by Bernie/MA » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:06 pm

You must have all copper plumbing. I put in a bunch of copper when I moved here and in 15 years the pipes were corroded thru, plastic now. I have wondered if all that dissolved copper might have helped my arthritis from getting worse.

PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:07 pm

Nope, all the main stuff is PVC to the old cast iron soil pipe. The sink drain is chrome-plated brass for looks. If I have to replace it again, I'll go PVC for that too.

Jim in RP

Post by Jim in RP » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:43 pm

PHPaul wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:50 pm
Been getting some Odeur d' Septique in the downstairs bathroom lately.
I had/have a similar problem in my garage bathroom with the shower drain. My shower and floor drain are one of the same. It has a very shallow pee trap and will evaporate out in 3 or 4 days and let the Odeur d' Septique (stink I googled it) in. I eventually replaced the door with a leavened vented door because the bath exhaust was sucking the stink past the trap. Now days every time I go in there I turn on the shower for a few seconds just to make sure that the trap has plenty of water. ;)
Only The Dead Have Seen The end of WAR. "Plato"