I've been goosed...

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

I've been goosed...

Post by PHPaul » Wed May 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Most people consider Canada Geese a pest. In flocks of 20 or 30 they can create an ENORMOUS amount of goose poop. Been there, stepped in that.

The last 5-6 years, I've had a pair hang out in my fields all summer. They came back this year but a few days later one disappeared and the male (judging by size) was all alone. I thought perhaps he'd lost his mate to a predator. Even more weirdly, when a flock of geese would fly over, he'd flatten himself right out in the grass like he was hiding from them. As soon as they passed, he'd pop up and go back to dabbling in the grass.

He seemed calm enough, I could walk within 10 feet of him and all he'd do is eyeball me.

Yesterday, Mawteen spotted something in the field and got the glasses out. There was Mr. and Mrs. Goose and 4 little goslings. Apparently, Mama had been nesting in the weeds someplace and I just never saw her

I was hoping I might see them today so I took my camera when I went down to do chores. They started heading for the water as soon as they saw me. Not panicked, but walking with a purpose. They were 25-30 yards away when I got this shot:

I've never seen unfledged goslings in the wild, much less this close to people. Pretty neat.

Bkeepr

Re: I've been goosed...

Post by Bkeepr » Thu May 21, 2020 7:05 am

*Very* neat, 14. Sort of feels like family, doesn't it.

Of course, this means that next year you'll have more than 2 coming back for the summer, and before you know it, kids' friends and then some in-laws, and suddenly you'll be using a bucket loader for goose poop! :lol:

Bernie/MA

Re: I've been goosed...

Post by Bernie/MA » Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 am

I had four a few years ago. None since.