Driving nowadays…

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Driving nowadays…

Post by Bkeepr »

I drive 400 miles a week on I-70 now, between Fredneck and Baltimore, and have been thinking that some folks’ driving has been more dangerous since the COVID lockdowns and year of little traffic around here ended. I see more crazy driving now. This morning I read an article in the paper seemingly confirming my observation:

“Distraction, speeding, alcohol drive up 2021 US traffic deaths
By TOM KRISHER
AP Auto Writer
DETROIT — Nearly 43,000 people died in U.S. traffic crashes in 2021, the highest number in 16 years with deaths due to speeding and impaired or distracted driving on the rise.
The 2021 final numbers, released Monday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, confirmed earlier estimates by the agency showing a 10.5% increase in deaths over 2020. That’s the highest number since 2005 and the largest percentage increase since 1975.
Data shows a 12% rise in fatal crashes involving at least one distracted driver, with 3,522 people killed. That prompted the agency to kick off a $5 million advertising campaign in an effort to keep drivers focused on the road. Agency officials said such cases likely are under-reported by police.
The number of pedestrians killed rose 13%, and cyclist fatalities were up 2% for the year. The number of unbelted passengers killed rose 8.1%, while fatalities involving alcohol- impaired driving were up 14%.
Speeding-related deaths increased 7.9%, while crash deaths involving large trucks weighing over 10,000 pounds were up 17%….”
GeneMO

Re: Driving nowadays…

Post by GeneMO »

After decades of drunk driving being treated with more stiff penalties than many murders, it is time they got the damned cell phones and texters off the road. Use the same penalties and techniques as drunk drivers I say. If it really was all about safety, as they claim. And not just a cushy meal ticket for the judges lawyer friends.

Gene
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Some sick son of a bitch goes into school and kills some kids the whole country is screaming to outlaw guns.
I'm wondering why the hell. With all these people dying on the highways, why the hell are those people in Washington DC not outlaw motor vehicles from motorized bicycles all the way up to 18 wheelers.
As long as the guilty, Rich can get off Scott free, and the innocent poor continue to go to jail. The United States will continue to go down that hole in that little building that is called an old house. Don't give me that shit about a public defender. They are nothing but a separate branch for the prosecution.
Lawyers and judges are just like whores, no money no honey.

:( my two centavos.
Patria

Post by Patria »

GeneMO wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:38 pm After decades of drunk driving being treated with more stiff penalties than many murders, it is time they got the damned cell phones and texters off the road. Use the same penalties and techniques as drunk drivers I say. If it really was all about safety, as they claim. And not just a cushy meal ticket for the judges lawyer friends.

Gene
Dunno, how would I have the time to look at my cellphone when I'm busy setting some command in the car's in-dash multimedia system monitor...
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Hell, my smart phone is so much smarter than me. It's unbelievable I can send texts back-and-forth but that's about it. Oh I know how to take pictures. Operate the calculator. I can't use it for voice calls, can't hear it. I've thrown it up against the cement wall a couple of times because I'm so damn shame of my ignorance. It amazes me that America sent men to the moon using a computer dumber than my phone. ;)
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Jim_in_RP wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:16 pm Hell, my smart phone is so much smarter than me. It's unbelievable I can send texts back-and-forth but that's about it. Oh I know how to take pictures. Operate the calculator. I can't use it for voice calls, can't hear it. I've thrown it up against the cement wall a couple of times because I'm so damn shame of my ignorance. It amazes me that America sent men to the moon using a computer dumber than my phone. ;)
That's one of the things I love most about mine. It connects directly to my hearing aids!
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

PHPaul wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:41 am…That's one of the things I love most about mine. It connects directly to my hearing aids!
Me, too! My old ones didn’t, and I had troubles on the phone. My current ones do, and now I can hear better on the phone than I can in “real life.”