Hey Bkeeper

Stories, News and General Yakking
GeneMO

Hey Bkeeper

Post by GeneMO »

So I bought some cheap Walmart ceiling paint, thinned it down a bit and rolled on a "half assed " coating of paint on the inside of our green house. The temp. inside went down over 10 degrees right afterwards.

Still plenty of light. We are gonna see what happens. So far so good. We have plants growing.

Gene
Bkeepr

Re: Hey Bkeeper

Post by Bkeepr »

I am interested in how the paint works longer term. One of the things I like about the shade cloth is that it is easily adjustable for the season and what I am growing that week. But it is a PITA putting it on at the start of the sunny season, and off in Fall. So the right amount of paint speckles might be a good compromise.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

So far our plants are doing well!

Gene
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Great! I love starting plants.

But I tend to start some things too early in the season—do it every year—and they thrive and then become pot bound because I can’t put them out yet. This year it is spaghetti squash…I started 6 plants too early and they were gorgeous but now are just starting to yellow a bit…I am sure I will have to start more in a couple of weeks.

Keep going, Gene! And thanks for the update.
Okierob

Post by Okierob »

I just use 50% shade cloth and leave it on year round
Jim_in_RP

Re: Okierob

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Okierob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:42 pmI just use 50% shade cloth and leave it on year round
Let me be the first to welcome you home. It's been a long time, but glad to see you here and I hope we will see a lot more of you in the future. :)
Okierob

Re: Okierob

Post by Okierob »

Jim_in_RP wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:32 pm
Okierob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:42 pmI just use 50% shade cloth and leave it on year round
Let me be the first to welcome you home. It's been a long time, but glad to see you here and I hope we will see a lot more of you in the future. :)
Yes I had to reach way back to try and remember my screen name and password. I've been lurking in and out. Wished we could post pictures direct from phone. I've used 2 different picture websites but don't fool with them anymore. Most of the other sites I frequent I can direct upload a picture.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

field.jpg
field.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Added from my phone via the attachments tab.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Oooh, thanks, I didn’t know this!!
Oooh, thanks, I didn’t know this!!
DB26ACC3-C9D7-471C-B960-4CB607D45CCF.jpeg (142.27 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Here’s the inside of mine, just lettuce and two spaghetti squash growing in there for this year’s garden, along with odds and ends. It’s 29 degrees outside right now, but 43 in the greenhouse without any supplemental heat.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Okierob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:42 pm I just use 50% shade cloth and leave it on year round
That's probably a good compromise. Our summers are very hot and humid, so I'm not sure the 50% would help enough but when the stuff I currently use goes I'll either give the 50% stuff a try, or use Gene's paint-splatter technique to cut back on my wasted time.

And yes, I'm very glad to "hear your voice" again, too.