When you get done

Stories, News and General Yakking
Jim_in_RP

When you get done

Post by Jim_in_RP »

When you're done with all that welding, cutting, grinding and slag removal.
Go down to your local travel agent and book a flight to Dumaguete City and have a look at my neighborhood and of course my shop which I'm too old to use. If you think the airfare is too expensive, you can stay in my guest room for free and I'll even feed you a few meals while you're here. We can also provide you with transportation with a driver, (no cost). As long as you have an up-to-date, American passport, you will automatically get a three week visa stamped on your passport once you arrive in Manila. Make sure your travel agent booked a return flight before your 21 day Philippine visa expires. If by chance you fall in love with this area, you can always go down to the immigration office in Dumaguete and for a few bucks. Get an extension to your free 21 day visa.
Here's a link, it will give you a look at what's in my neighborhood. I particularly like red rock because it's close convenient just the right temperature and lots of icandy. If you have ever thought about going to Hawaii, you better have a very good credit limit on your VISA CARD. You can have just about the same vacation for the same amount of money by flying all the way over here because the tourist spots are so much cheaper and just as good if not better than Hawaii.
Polk here.
<https://www.nopostcode.com/red-rock-hot ... -valencia/>
Red Dave

Re: When you get done

Post by Red Dave »

Thanks for the invite Jim, but even with as much air travel as I did over the years, I don't see any in my future. I love flying, but I hate airports and the bullshit they make us go through.

I have some family connections to the Philippines. My grandfather spent quite a lot of time in the PI's when he was assigned to China Station in the early years of the 20th century. Then my Dad spent time there, working for the 7th Fleet in support of MacArthur's "I shall Return" pledge in 1944-45. After continuing on to Tokyo harbor at the end of the war, he returned to Manila to leave his ship and catch a ride on the Magic Carpet back to the states. He was all over the PI's, but I have no idea if he ever got anywhere near Dumaguette City. He often said that he would like to go back some day, but he died when I was a teenager and it never happened.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Jim, thanks. I’m afraid I am done with traveling anymore, but you do make it sound nice. After years of work-related travels, I am very much a home body now.

Tom
Sid

Post by Sid »

I do my oversea site seeing on the internet. Travel at my own pace and have less trouble finding rest rooms
Sid

Post by Sid »

Thanks for the pics.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Our passports are current. Wish I was healthy enough to take on something like that.

Gene
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

GeneMO wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:01 pmOur passports are current. Wish I was healthy enough to take on something like that.
Gene,
My legs can only carry me about 100 and 150 feet before they give out. I make the trip to Seattle every year for the last 4 years. I don't even try to walk when I get to the airport. Maria requested a wheelchair as soon as I get out of the car. The wheelchair is pushed by airport employees. They take me right to the front of every line. I don't go through any of the electronic see everything devices. They just help me stand up sometimes and wand me with the stick. Most of the time they just frisk me while I'm sitting in the wheelchair and then flag me through. This airport wheelchair service is not just for the quadriplegic. It's for people like me that have limited mobility. The people here at the Dumaguete airport know me and when they see our car. They immediately grab a wheelchair and push it up next to the car. I don't use the wheelchair service just to get to the front of the lines I use it for what it was intended for which is limited mobility. Last year on the flight between Manila in San Francisco when my chair was parked in the wheelchair section, I counted 18 wheelchairs, and a few of the wheelchair passengers look older than me. Wheelchair service is not furnished by the airlines it's furnished by the airports and it's been my experience even the smallest of airports have this service. There's no shame in using this service if you can stand up and walk. Just this afternoon when I close the main gate and staggered to the front of the garage. I damn near went to the cement and that distance was only about 100 feet. Other times I'm able to walk 200 or 300 feet before that happens. Getting from here to Seattle would be impossible if it wasn't for those big silver tubes with wings. The nonstop flight between Manila in San Francisco is between 12 and 14 hours depending on which way you're traveling. That beats the hell out of the 12 to 14 days by boat. The jet is traveling more than 500 miles an hour ground speed. PAL also has a nonstop flight between Manila in LA.
We are looking forward to your visit but be advised that we will be in Seattle July 11 and leaving Seattle on August 28 with some other travel time for that trip.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Jim_in_RP wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:11 am
GeneMO wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:01 pmOur passports are current. Wish I was healthy enough to take on something like that.
Gene,
My legs can only carry me about 100 and 150 feet before they give out. I make the trip to Seattle every year for the last 4 years. I don't even try to walk when I get to the airport. Maria requested a wheelchair as soon as I get out of the car. The wheelchair is pushed by airport employees. They take me right to the front of every line. I don't go through any of the electronic see everything devices. They just help me stand up sometimes and wand me with the stick. Most of the time they just frisk me while I'm sitting in the wheelchair and then flag me through. This airport wheelchair service is not just for the quadriplegic. It's for people like me that have limited mobility. The people here at the Dumaguete airport know me and when they see our car. They immediately grab a wheelchair and push it up next to the car. I don't use the wheelchair service just to get to the front of the lines I use it for what it was intended for which is limited mobility. Last year on the flight between Manila in San Francisco when my chair was parked in the wheelchair section, I counted 18 wheelchairs, and a few of the wheelchair passengers look older than me. Wheelchair service is not furnished by the airlines it's furnished by the airports and it's been my experience even the smallest of airports have this service. There's no shame in using this service if you can stand up and walk. Just this afternoon when I close the main gate and staggered to the front of the garage. I damn near went to the cement and that distance was only about 100 feet. Other times I'm able to walk 200 or 300 feet before that happens. Getting from here to Seattle would be impossible if it wasn't for those big silver tubes with wings. The nonstop flight between Manila in San Francisco is between 12 and 14 hours depending on which way you're traveling. That beats the hell out of the 12 to 14 days by boat. The jet is traveling more than 500 miles an hour ground speed. PAL also has a nonstop flight between Manila in LA.
We are looking forward to your visit but be advised that we will be in Seattle July 11 and leaving Seattle on August 28 with some other travel time for that trip.
It is not so much my legs, and walking. It is just how I "Feel" I have good days, and not so good days. I am 32 years on a kidney transplant. Take 14 meds a day. Now today, felt good, and took out in the woods to kill a wild turkey. I walked probably 3/4 a mile. My legs are actually getting better. I really want to see more of the country, but at 68, and with my other ailments, not sure if I am up for major travel like that. But I am sure keeping it in mind. :) Gene