Red motor oil??

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Red motor oil??

Post by Bkeepr »

Newest 5 quart jug of Traveller brand 5w-20 oil is red. Looks exactly like the Army’s hydraulic fluid for howitzers, and nothing like the motor oil I’ve been buying for decades.

Anybody know— is this some new formulation, and I am just behind the times, or is this a mistake in labeling??

I couldn’t find any mention of a recall in the web. Not putting it in my car til I know, but before I go to TSC to return it, I would like to have a good idea that this is a problem.

Thanks!
Sid

Re: Red motor oil??

Post by Sid »

I think it is legit. I hear Phillip 66 has introduced a new synthetic called red line. Gives you something to check out.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Sid wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:59 pm I think it is legit. I hear Phillip 66 has introduced a new synthetic called red line. Gives you something to check out.
Thanks, Sid, you may be right...BUT I bought "conventional" motor oil, same package as I've bought for at least 25 years so even in the best case means it is good oil that was mislabeled. I think I'm going to take it back next week and get an explanation or a new jug.
Jim_in_RP

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Sid wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:59 pm I think it is legit. I hear Phillip 66 has introduced a new synthetic called red line. Gives you something to check out.
I bought "conventional" motor I think I'm going to take it back next week and get an explanation or a new jug.[/quote]
I think you got CONVENTIONAL motor oil and here's the reason why:
In 1969 and 70 I work for Standard Oil of California in San Francisco at the corner of Presidio Avenue and California Street. Standard oil in those days was selling a red motor oil to call supreme. It was red in color, and it cost more than "the conventional motor oil". I was told that it was red, because it was nothing more than a high detergent, light weight, Motor oil. I put two and two together and remembered that 7808 hydraulic oil is red in color. Dexron transmission fluid is red in color and the transmission oil is very high detergent oil but lightweight. I started changing my oil way back then with 4 quarts of conventional motor oil and 1 quart of dexron. Overall these years, I've never known her to cause any harm to an engine, but I have noticed in the engine teardown the inside parks where is clean today they were made.
I think if you returned that oil for "conventional oil" you'd be wasting your time and energy. I think you would be far better off if you did return it, to mix 1 quart of dexron in your oil change.

Got to go: late for a nine-year-old birthday party.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Only red stuff I have ever used was ATF and the oil we used in the Hydrostatic drive of our Gleaner combine. It was all good stuff, generally expensive. I guess it is good stuff.

Gene