First Drone Flight

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

First Drone Flight

Post by PHPaul »

Well, I managed to download the software, the firmware updates, connect to the drone and actually fly it for a bit.

Pretty windy out so I didn't get too adventurous. Did some drills suggested for new fliers, take off, climb to eyeball height, fly in a square - out, right, back, left, back to starting point. Two ways to do that: The drone will actually fly sideways or you can rotate it so that the front (camera end) is always pointing forward. Second way is a bit confusing as the controls are oriented to the camera as "forward" so they vary depending on which way the drone is pointed.

Auto-hover if you let go of the controls, automatic return-to-home if you press a button or if the remote loses contact with the drone. Auto correction for crosswinds up to a certain point. It was getting blown around a little as the gusts were over it's threshold, but not really bad at all.

Landing it on the "helipad" using manual controls was a challenge due to the winds and my effed up depth perception. More practice on a calm day will help that.

Pictures worked out well, tho I need to take them from a higher altitude to get a better field of view. Another project for a calmer day.

All-in-all, I'm pretty tickled.
Jim_in_RP

Re: First Drone Flight

Post by Jim_in_RP »

Sounds like fun and I'll bet you enjoyed it. ;)
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

roof1.jpg
roof1.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Got some better pix of the roof this morning as the winds were calm.

I can see that I'm going to be looking for excuses to fly this thing... :lol:
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Sure looks like a useful toy…uh, I mean tool! :lol: :lol:
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

This Summer's Big Project is to rip out and reseed the South half of the front lawn. I've been meaning to do it for a couple of years, but this year the skunks have absolutely destroyed it digging up grubs. That and the fact that it was 90% weeds, plus a HUGE berm of road sand had it looking like hell.
grubs.jpg
grubs.jpg (23.37 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
This is a sample of the grub/skunk damage. 50% or more of the "lawn" looks like this.
lawn1.jpg
lawn1.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
I've started by rototilling from the road in to get rid of the years of built-up road sand. I'll eventually till and strip the entire South half.
field.jpg
field.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
The dirt/sand/debris I'm removing is being used to fill low spots and holes in what used to be a pasture. As long as it will grow something I can cut down with the mower and has roots to hold the soil in place, I'm good with that. I might throw a little grass seed on it if I have any left after reseeding the lawn.

Once I get all the crap scraped off it, I'll bring in a few yards of fresh loam, hit it with some lime and fertilizer and reseed it with Kentucky Fescue.

Then bitch about having to mow it twice a week next Summer. :?

(And yes, all the pix were taken with the drone...)
Patria

Post by Patria »

Wow Paul, what a fantastic toy. I love the photos!
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

Anyway to mount rockets or guns on that thing? :lol:

Gene
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

GeneMO wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:38 am Anyway to mount rockets or guns on that thing? :lol:

Gene
Hmmmmmm. Pretty sure it'd haul a pretty good payload of Cherry Bombs...
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Patria wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:32 am Wow Paul, what a fantastic toy. I love the photos!
It IS fun! I have an idea it could be a money pit tho, looking at accessories.

Took this a couple of days ago:
hahbah.jpg
hahbah.jpg (48.62 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Taken from directly above my house looking South East. That's the harbor, then the Gulf of Maine (aka the Atlantic Ocean).
Red Dave

Post by Red Dave »

I didn't realize that you lived so close to the beach. You could run over for a dip purt near anytime you want.

Of course, being as you are so close to the Arctic Circle, it might be a tad nipply certain times of the year. :shock: