DIY Garbage Can Cart

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

DIY Garbage Can Cart

Post by PHPaul »

Figured the board could use a little traffic, so...

I take out the trash for some housebound friends every week. Their wheelie-bins are a pain in the ass, too heavy to lug, too tippy to wheel and it's a bit of a walk to where the garbage men pick them up.

Making the whole thing out of PVC would be relatively expensive and flimsy and I have a raft of 1/2" EMT laying around. Question was, how to join them. Welding that thin, galvanized stuff was a last resort plan.

I rummaged around at Deep Homo and came up with a plan:
GCR1.jpg
GCR1.jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Make some bushings by reaming out some 1/2" schedule 40 PVC with an 11/16ths end mill,
GCR2.jpg
GCR2.jpg (13.17 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Part them off at the socket depth (about 5/8ths),
GCR3.jpg
GCR3.jpg (7.42 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
11/16ths is a tad small, but 3/4 is too big, so heat the end of the EMT and drive the bushing on flush. No pic but that swells them up just a tad too big to go in the socket so chuck the bushed EMT up in the lathe and turn them back down to size and,
GCR4.jpg
GCR4.jpg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Tap everything together. I'll glue it once I'm happy with everything. It'll be a cube when I'm done, had to stop cuz Maw said the Lobstah was ready...Did some confuser work for druggie grand-niece and her babydaddy brought us a half dozen nice lobsters by way of a thank you.

I have some 12" plastic wheels (or I did anyway, haven't looked to be sure) off a high wheel push mower so I'll cobble up an axle and use those. Noodling an idea about how to rig handles and landing gear.
GeneMO

Re: DIY Garbage Can Cart

Post by GeneMO »

Wish someone would bring me some Lobster. That stuff is like gold here in the center of the country!!

Enjoy !!

Gene