I'll see if this generates any interest

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

I'll see if this generates any interest

Post by PHPaul »

vw2.jpg
vw2.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
My guy at the scrap yard has been watching for tanks for me as I use them to make "Minion" yard art. He had this big Boiler Mate tank for me. Too big for my usual projects, so I asked my daughter what I should make out of it.
vw.jpg
vw.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
My daughter spotted this on Pinterest. I don't think it would work worth a damn as a grill as there's no way to regulate the heat. Did seem like a neat idea for a planter tho.
vw3.jpg
vw3.jpg (12.6 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
I torched the ring/stand off the bottom, did a little measuring and laid out the cut lines for the windows.
vw4.jpg
vw4.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
Got the side windows cut out. Plan "A" was to do the cutting with the plasma cutter, but I figured I could cut a straighter line with a slitting disk on an angle grinder. Good thing I changed my mind, I didn't realize the tank was lined with hard foam insulation and a plastic liner inside that. The inner liner was so encrusted with rust (from iron in the water) that I thought it was metal!

Gonna cut the top like the example, but put a wooden box in it for the plants. In my mind's eye, it'll look like the top on one of those pop-up VW campers. I'll also put some lawn tractor wheels/tires/axles on it so it can be moved around. I'll recess them into the sides so it looks like they're under fenders.
Red Dave

Re: I'll see if this generates any interest

Post by Red Dave »

It'll make a cute little V Dub Van.

Are you going to give it a psychedelic paint job like all the Hippies did back in the 60's?

;) :P
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Red Dave wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:06 pm It'll make a cute little V Dub Van.

Are you going to give it a psychedelic paint job like all the Hippies did back in the 60's?

;) :P
I hadn't thought about that, but it's neat idea! Paisley and unicorns!

My daughter is the painter, I'll see if she's up for it when I get it finished.
Jim @ Jawa

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

Keep the photos/post coming. I like seeing your ideas/projects as they come together. :P
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Holy Moly, what a cool project! Yes, please keep the pictures coming!
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

Yesterday got gobbled up by errands and general life. Today we're getting whacked by the fringes of Hurricane Lee and power is VERY unstable, plus sideways rain, so I'm vegging out and watching YouTube videos.

Hope to make some progress tomorrow.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

vw5.jpg
vw5.jpg (35.32 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
Windows and roof hatch cut out , insulation and liner removed (whadda PITA) and started on the wheel wells.

May get to the rear wheel wells after lunch, assuming the Nap Bears don't kidnap me. They're devious that way...
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

vw7.jpg
vw7.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
Almost finished. Looking at the picture, I think it needs a front bumper. I'll have to rummage around in my junk pile and see what I can find.

Daughter has volunteered to paint it in a 60's Hippy Flower Power motif.
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

vw8.jpg
vw8.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
Plant box done. I spent some time figuring out how to make the ends overlap the cutout a bit while following the curve of the body. Seemed like a router was the best bet but wasn't at all comfy with free-handing the curve.

Then I dug out my Dad's Craftsman router from the early 60's and low and behold, it had attachments for routing circles! Got stupid lucky and the first guesstimate at a setup hit the curve I'd traced from the tank to within a 16th!

Felt good using it too, I remember when my Dad got it for a project he was working on. It was a major expenditure at the time. Oldest brother has had it since Dad passed and a few years ago realized he was never going to use it so passed it to me. I've only used it a couple of times since, but it always stirs up good memories.
Patria

Post by Patria »

What a clever way to transform a tank - love it!