The house I grew up in

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

The house I grew up in

Post by Bkeepr »

Goes on the market on Saturday. Mom and Dad bought it in April 1962, and Mom died there on July 12, 2023. In between were thousands of family meals and holiday celebrations in there. I’m going to miss the place, but I hope the next family has a happy home there, too.

https://matrix.brightmls.com/Matrix/Pub ... FvbC5jb20=
PHPaul
Site Admin

Re: The house I grew up in

Post by PHPaul »

Nice place, that should move quickly.

I often think about the house I grew up in. Every time I go back to Michigan I'm tempted to stop by but I really think I'd rather remember it as it was than see what the new owners have done with it.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

PHPaul wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:05 pm … Every time I go back to Michigan I'm tempted to stop by but I really think I'd rather remember it as it was than see what the new owners have done with it.
I will be the same way, except there are some now-elderly neighbors who I grew up around, and I am sure I will visit occasionally, if not just for their funerals. Mom was 96, but two doors down the man is 86, and several others all within a couple of years.
Bkeepr

Post by Bkeepr »

Well, Mom’s house sold last Thursday. Turns out the real estate market was changing locally as we were preparing the house for sale—the interest rates, economy, and some young peoples’ desire to not want to do much work on their own really slowed up sales of existing houses here…slowed up, almost to the point of stopping.

We had well over 50 potential buyers go through the house before we got a single offer. We did finally get 3 offers, all on the same day— one below, one at, and one over our asking price. We went with the middle offer, and it worked out well: an apparently nice young couple buying their very first home, which is what I had really hoped for.
GeneMO

Post by GeneMO »

My dad sold off the house I was raised in, but I have kept the farm. I still have an easement to drive into my barn. I can also access the rest of the farm from the other side about a mile away. There is the best family of young folks and their 3 kids that live there now. We even buy Christmas presents and birthday presents for the kids, and the adults visit and check on our place when we are gone. Worked out real well. I am the 4th generation to still live on the farm. When they have a birthday party for their kids, I still get to set, and eat, in the same kitchen I grew up in. Pretty neat.

Gene