Donation failures…

Stories, News and General Yakking
Bkeepr

Donation failures…

Post by Bkeepr »

About 3 weeks ago, ww donated my Mom’s “good china” to the ReStore. Yesterday, we brought another donation, and walked through the store just to browse. We saw Mom’s China for sale…

Today at lunch, the Mrs looks at me and says “let’s go get Oma’s china back.” She said she would rather donate hers/ours than let my Mom’s go.

So I just paid a few hundred dollars for something that was mine. One more reason I love her so much.

She was always my Mom and Dad’s daughter they never had. It’s been a good life. 😄
Jim @ Jawa

Re: Donation failures…

Post by Jim @ Jawa »

:lol: I see that we are both in the world of "Husbands". ;) :roll:
PHPaul
Site Admin

Post by PHPaul »

My friend of 35 years passed away after a long and painful illness. He was roughly the same size as me and his widow gave me all his shirts, tee shirts and a raft of coats for all seasons.

I picked out 2 or 3 coats I liked (I have plenty of my own) and took the rest to Goodwill. The donation door had a "Closed" sign on it.
I enquired inside and the lady said they have staffing issues (no doubt a result of their pitiful wages...) and only accept donations on Fri/Sat/Sun. I said "Well, that's a shame, I have a raft of nice Winter clothing.

This was Wednesday and I wasn't going to lug all that stuff back home and make a second trip to give them something for free that they were going to sell. A shopper overheard us and said "That's just what I'm looking for!"

I told her I just wanted it gone and she was welcome to come out to the car and take anything she wanted. She wound up taking it all (two 33 gallon trash bags stuffed full) and handed me a $20. I expect she one of those folks that has a continuous yard sale and will sell it all, which is fine with me. I accomplished my goal of getting it to someone who can use it rather than throwing perfectly good stuff away.
Patria

Post by Patria »

Gerrit's clothes ended up at the police station close by. I was trying to lift over my head a 30 gallon bag - I had 2 - filled with his clothes to throw in a big mailbox-like type of box where clothes and shoes are collected. The box is in front of a police station parking lot and when an officer saw me he walked over to help me with the bags. I told him the bags were filled with men's clothes size M and L and he said if I did not mind he'd take the bags in the station. I liked it that someone would think it was a good idea to take Gerrit's clothes. I kept his baseball caps and the bathrobe.