"Free" boat trailer - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Stories, News and General Yakking
PHPaul
Site Admin

"Free" boat trailer - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Post by PHPaul »

My buddy Frank was heavily into boats and had a couple of trailers that his widow wanted gone.

One I knew was junk, total rust bomb.

The other was a nice-looking 1500 pound single axle galvanized rig for a small boat or dory. I knew the tires were rotten but the rest looked okay.

Dale the Builder has a small boat he's tired of trying to wrassle into the back of his truck so he's interested in the little trailer.

"I'll put some new tires on it and repack the wheel bearings and you can have it for $xxx"

Riiiiiiiiiiight. Bearings and races completely trashed. Looks like the spindles are okay and I can save the hubs. Leaf springs that used to be a 3 pack with wedges are now a really, REALLY thin single leaf and I'm pretty sure if you put a 1000 pounds on the trailer they'd snap.

My initial price estimate on the trailer has doubled, I'm already pretty much giving away my time, and we're not done yet...
Sid

Re: "Free" boat trailer - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Post by Sid »

One of my uncles seemed to always fall into those free things and would come out for the better on the deal. Years ago an older neighbor gave me an older pick up signed the title and handed it to me. The deal was it could stay in his shed just behind the house we were renting and he would help me work on it. House we were renting sold we had 30 days to move out. That's OK we still got a deal you can leave it here. I had the money for the parts so things were looking good I was about to have a good solid old truck to drive. He and I had it ready for new parts and were going to pick them up on a Friday after work and start working on it Saturday. Thursday he passed away. Saturday after the funeral his widow and son let me know I had 48 hours to get "that piece of junk outta here". I had no place to go with it and ended up paying 20 bucks to have it hauled off. That was my first experience of "FREE" . Sad to say it was not my last.

i